Sunday, June 14, 2015

Luke - first grade

 Luke Hale - beginning of first grade

Class Picture


 Singing Class Picture :)

 Mrs. Thomas and her favorite student :)

Mrs. Thomas was pretty cool.  She did science experiment with root beer floats to demonstrate the states of matter - solid, liquid and gas. (Luke was the only one in the class to not eat his - cause he didn't like it.  Oh man.)  And she was always really funny when she dressed up for dress up days.

 At the end of year awards ceremony, Luke got the Ravenous Reader Award.  It says "Congratulations to Luke Hale for your appetite for books and your love of reading!  I'm so proud of you! - Mrs. Thomas"  When she gave him the award she said Luke likes reading so much that she'll even find him sneaking a book and reading while he's supposed to be working on something else.  :) 

He was in "group 2" this year with 3 other kids (Aubrie, Edge and Dillan).  It was kind of like their own little book club and they got to read chapter books, talk about them in a group and then do fun projects to go along with the book.  For example, they read the Junie B. Jones book Shipwrecked and then built their own little boats and raced them.
Racing boats
(Mrs. Thomas gave them each pictures from the year and Luke came home and made a "memory wall" in his room and taped them all up.  So cute.)

His principal was Mrs. Tate and she was just the best.  This is how great she is - we saw her at a PTA meeting and Luke had a beanie-boo owl (that comes with a birthday on its tag) and he said to her "it's my owl's birthday today" and I was sort of embarrassed because she's busy and it's his stuffed animal's birthday?  But she did a little dance and sang to the owl right then and there.  It made Luke so happy.  What a cool lady! 



Mrs. Thomas even had them make memory books.   Here are a few things from that:

"favorite things...
my favorite color: blue
my favorite after school activity: play (he drew a math book and crossed it out and drew him playing with friends) :)
my favorite food: green apples
my favorite animal: fox
my favorite sport: karate
my favorite t.v. show:  Beywheelz

First grade buddies:
Dillan and Edge


 I love these kids!  I got to know some of them really well through tutoring.  It was a cute class.

Right now Luke is just a sponge and a "why" asker.  I love it though because he takes our whole family on these fun adventures of learning.  We've all learned more about rocks, venus fly traps, astronomy, foxes, cicadas and anything else this kid has questions about.  Here's a few pictures of us at the rock show.


And he even started a study club.  I found this video he made on my phone.   It's so nerdy - I love it.
(I like when he explains that red ants live on bricks, they live on bricks, if you want to find them you should look mostly on bricks)


Luke's first grade artwork:




These kids are ready for summer!!!

Luke:  "This summer I will go to the Gulf of Mexico.  I will kick a beach ball.  I will swim.  I will chillax.  I can't wait until summer"
Dillan:  "This summer I'm going to Luke's house.  We are going to play video games.  Luke said we could finish his chapter book.  We are going to play pirates.  This summer will be a blast."

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow. I love that Luke loves to read so much. That's cool. I love that you scanned copies of his class picture. I need to do that. I loved this post. I need to copy you and do one for Willa. How was FL? I am looking forward to reading your blog about it :)

PhilHale said...

Luke, your school is lucky to have you.

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed