The drive
It is about an 8 hour drive. The way there we made it in 7.5 hours! It was late at night and we only stopped once and just zipped right down there. The way home is always harder. It's not as exciting and everyone is tired. It was during the day and there we a lot more stops. It took us 10 1/2 excruciating hours. The kids did great - it was me who was whiney and tired. That drive seemed to take forever! (of course this is nothing compared to the Songers drive from Utah!) And Freddy never slept. But thanks to modern technology - all the other kids just plugged in and were as happy as little clams.
The Ocean.
The first morning we woke up and went straight to the beach. When it came in view it took my breath away. I wasn't prepared for how beautiful it was going to be. I loved playing with some of my favorite people in such a beautiful place.
Osky's first dip



Luke loved to boogie board. The waves were nice and small for little kids. But I think to them they were huge.
ah oh, they know he has goldfish...
she's got the pouty model thing down
The House
It's funny because we were at the OCEAN but the kids actually had just as much fun swimming in tiny rectangular pool at the beach house. Lissa and Anderson sort of headed up the pool games and they all played for hours. It was actually nice to be able to go do the beach/ocean and then go back and swim some more (where there was food and beds for babies) I don't think the kids got dry the whole trip.
Even though we had plenty of room - somehow some kids would pile in together. Anderson likes to keep his feet cozy in Maryanne's curls.
The Crab Hunting
One of the things Luke was most looking forward to was crab hunting. And it was definitely harder than he expected but after some initial frustration - he loved those crabs. And it was fun for all of us to just be out in the dark night creeping around on the beach with our flashlights.
(photos by kate)
photo by Lissa (I think)
Evening Beach
Playing bocci, making mermaid tails and flying kites.
Ok, so this was maybe my favorite moment from the whole trip. All 20 of us were together and we just played on the beach until the sun went down. I just loved it.
(pics by kate)
Sunset Fred
serious, manly cousin-to-cousin talk
mowmaid sistows!


The Date
The last night we were there we went on a triple date to Pompano Joe's. I got the grouper and the lobster and it was so good. I wasn't sure I would like grouper but it was really good! The restaurant was right on the beach and was totally open to outside air so we got a lovely salty ocean breeze as we ate.
Loved our time there. Thanks Wilsons for having this idea and making it happen! And Songers for driving your oil eating van all the way to Florida!










4 comments:
Oh yay!!! That was the best vacay. That beach! It was just like a dream. And of course sharing it with our dear hale-songers and songer-hales made it so wonderful. My favorite picture? Anderson's toes in Maryanne's hair.
wow, beautiful beach and awesome people. Seems like the dream
Wow! Can we repeat this next summer? Looks like heaven!
Good choice. Destin is an awesome beach. I love the sand there. I love Florida and I love you guys so naturally I enjoyed this post :)
Looks like you had an awesome trip!
My favorite time at the beach is in the evening. Those pictures at sunset are so pretty. The lighting makes everyone look so good. I love grouper. I grew up fishing for grouper and eating it - it's part of my childhood. I'm glad you tried it and liked it. I always say that people who don't like seafood haven't had good fresh seafood. And I love that the kids were never dry. I know exactly what you mean. My kids are the same way and I was the same way as a kid. Good times!!
Post a Comment