Friday, January 3, 2014

Thanksgiving 2013

We had some Indians

And Pilgrams

 

This was Luke's Kindergarten feast - with his new friend from Germany - Baxley.  (who he calls Backsleeve).  I was really sick this day and had to missed it.  Oh, I am pregnant btw.  I don't think that has been announced on this blog.  I'm due June 4th. We are excited.  I was just regular sick my first trimester, but for some reason I got really, REALLY sick from about 12 weeks to 15 weeks.  Kate can attest to a few desperate phone calls needing help with kids.  And this little Thanksgiving feast must have been during those few weeks.  Luckily, Joey got off work early and was able to attend and snap a few pics of these cute little 5 year-olds feasting.  The most exciting part to Luke was they gave them 2 juice boxes each. :)

We actually celebrated Thanksgivng on Friday since Caleb had to work on Thursday.  So our Thursday was just relaxing and fun.  Joey volunteered downtown at the soup kitchen while I played task master at home forcing the kids to work all morning.  But with the promise that when daddy got home we'd play soccer and football.   Which really helped motivate them and they worked so hard.  So hard that all the girls took naps and it ended up being just Luke and dad - they biked and played football and soccer.  Then when the girls woke up we all played disc golf.
Thanksgiving Disc golf. Cheering for dad.

 That night we watched Charlie Brown's "A Mayflower Voyage" and Joey and I were very impressed.  We both learned some great Thanksgiving history.  I never knew Charlie Brown was so educational.  I highly recommend it.

And now for the cooking. 
This year I decided to try a few new recipes that I had heard about on NPR.  The 3 new ones I tried were 
1. Carrot Mash with Orange and Mint
2. Bruleed Burbon Pumpkin Pie
3. Pear-Rosemary Pie with  Cheddar Crust

Sounds totally awesome right?  I went and bought all the freshest, fanciest ingredients.  And we even had a midnight Bourbon delivery from one of our neighbors :)   Well, I was pretty disappointed with the results.  After all that work - the carrot mash was pretty gross after the first 2 bites.  And I was sad about my pies too that I thought were only ok.  The biggest hits were Joey's sweet potatoes that he just threw together in a few minutes and my rolls that were really just frozen Rhodes rolls.  It made me think it's not worth all the fancy fuss..... or that I'm just really bad at it.  That being said - I think we were just too full to really enjoy the pies because the next morning we had some slices and were impressed by the bursts of flavor we hadn't tasted the night before. 

Here is my helper rolling out the cheddar crust and brushing rolls with butter

the fancy 3


It was a good day.  We were sad Juli couldn't come - car troubles.   But we had the Wilson family, the Hale family, the Wood family and the Elders.  And everyone else's contributions were amazing.  My personal favorite was Malan's pretzel jello.

5 comments:

edith said...

I put not so much work but the risk of salmonella into a French silk pie this year--it was okay. My favorite so far has been a cranberry cake I made one year for Thanksgiving at Mckays.
Jenny's mashed yams with nothing but lime juice are awesome. And easy.
I'm so excited you are having another baby! Can't wait to see if it's a girl or boy. If you follow the pattern of us and Malmborgs, you'd better choose a girl name.

kate said...

those foods were so pretty though! even though we were too full to fully appreciate them, and i thought even then that they were especially yummy. i loved the pictures of your indians, and your little pie helper. :)

victoria said...

Were those pictures of the food that you made?? Because, if so, you get high points for gorgeousness! I was in charge of rolls (for 50 people) so since you have to do multiple batches, I tried 3 recipes. The first "fail proof" recipe failed. Little hard ugly rocks. The second recipe was a little tricky, but turned out great. The third batch was super fast and easy, and also turned out great. So, yeah, I think simple is best.
I think since you had a boy first and then a girl, all bets are off. So maybe another boy? Are you going to find out soon?

Love your posts! Love seeing pictures of your family!

PS - We all had dinner with April and Hailey the other night and Hailey really wants to see you when you come here at the end of the month. (You probably knew that, though.)

Katie B. said...

Yeah, super pretty food pictures! So, basically, I want to live with you guys and the Wilsons and be your friend and have your kids play with my kids and learn how to be a fancy photographer and such.

Lindsay said...

Baby #4! Congrats Katie. And all two years apart! Crazy fun.

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed