Now We Are Six
by A.A. Milne
When I was one I had just begun
When I was two I was nearly new
When I was three I was hardly me
When I was four I was not much more
When I was five I was just alive
But now I am six, I'm as clever as clever;
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.
When I was little my mom and dad always took us on a birthday date. This meant alone time with your parents where they spoil you and you get to pick whatever restaurant or show you wanted to go to. Being a middle child in a big family, this was something I always looked forward to. And my parents always made me feel so special. Since we had already done Luke's party on his half-birthday, we thought it was a good age to start this tradition. It was so fun to focus all our attention on one kid. I always thought I would be so sad as my kids got older and past the "cute" baby/toddler stage. But so far kids just get more and more fun. It was a blast to see this kiddo go nuts as he ran around this crazy place of flashing lights and partook of every attraction and video game a kid could want.
Laser Tag
XD movie-ride
mini-bowling
Go-Kart racing
And now he's six, he's as clever as clever
It does kinda seem the age where they are suddenly a miniature grown-up. You see a real set personality emerging and their minds are absorbing so much as they are learning to read and write and learn about the world around them. Oh my Luke - how we love you! You're intensity reminds me to drink in life and learning more fully. And to love more intensely. You are a good boy and we love all you are teaching us. Happy Birthday to our clever boy.




4 comments:
I love this post so much! Probably cuz I love Luke and his parents. He is so lucky. And you are too. Trace is getting so big too. I hardly see him during the day because he's so independent. Jack and Tal are always hovering. Cole and Trace do their own thing and I have to seek them out and tell them to stop growing up!
What a cool place for a date! mini bowling?! awesome! i love the idea of dates with the kids, we really want to try to do that more this year, I think it is so good for kids. we love Luke and his twinkling eyes and handsome smile. he is clever as can be and i feel so lucky to get to see this part of his life! hbd luke!
Great poem! I had never heard that one. Happy birthday Luke!! So exciting to be six. So grown up and fun. We love you and hope you will come and ride horses with us and swim in the pool this summer! Love Aunt Wendy
Happy Birthday, Luke!! Sure like you, kid. How fun that you get to have TWO birthdays!! Lucky you!
I gave that book to Ellie when she turned 6. :)
Post a Comment