Luke:Notes in his agenda book in his first 2 weeks:
Day 3 - working hard on keeping our hands to self and not on friends
Day 7 - working on keeping our hands to self
Day 9 - hit a girl on her bottom
Day 10 - licked a child next to him during lunch
Oh Luke Lukey Luke - what are we going to do with you!?? I talked to him long and hard about each infraction and on day 9 I couldn't believe it! I was pretty mad and he looked at me and said "so mom, you are mad at me because I can't be good ALL the time?" Well, that softened me up cause really he is doing SO well. I mean this is 7 hours of being on your best behavior. And for 6.999 hours he was so good. And then I said, "Luke, you can't hit people on the bum!" He said, "but mom, you do it to me all the time!" uh.... he's right. I totally do. I love-spank all my kids when I love them too much to be contained. He might as well have said, "I learned it from watching you!" I told him moms get to give their kids friendly spanks but that he couldn't do it at school. So many bugs to work out in this new world of ours. :)
Here he is on his first real day of his Kindergarten class. He's really loving it.
He hated it at first. I wasn't a fan myself. I considered boycotting all homework. He's FIVE! My few hours with this kid is just too precious to be doing worksheets when we could be riding bikes or wrestling. But I wrote a nice email to the teacher instead just with a few of my concerns. She was so nice and said that I could be creative with "homework" and tailor it to him. She gave me the license to do educational things at home my way and just write down what we do. I loved that. But to be honest - he doesn't mind the given homework as much anymore. And Joey is the homework parent and gives them some good one-on-one bonding time. So, it's working. We just make sure he gets lots of swimming and bike riding in before we make him sit down and work.
Here is a sample of his work from his first week. Love those fenders on that old fashion looking car.
We are working on his citizenship marks. It's E (excellent), G (good), S (satisfactory), N (needs improvement) and U (unacceptable). He's gotten Es, Gs and one S. After the bum hitting and kid licking incidents - we made a sticker chart and told him if he got 15 Es we would buy him a Storm Trooper costume (star wars) and if he got a week straight of all Es - we'd take him to see Monsters University. Well, this week he gotten straight Es with only tomorrow to go. We might be taking him to the movies this weekend. Ahh, the magic of the bribe.
Lucy:Lucy started JOY SCHOOL! Joy School is something I did when I was little. and I've always wanted to try it with my kids. I'm excited for this group! It's a values based preschool and basically teaches ethics. It's a co-op so the lessons are taught in homes by the moms in the group. She wanted to wear her pink headband with her bangs back for her first day. She was so excited.
Joy School group 2013-2014: Daxton, Lucy, Jackson, Jane and Helen. Two old friends (the boys) and two new friends for Lucy.
So, speaking of school behavior. I picked up Lucy from her first day of Joy School and I asked her how it went. She looked at me with a twinkle in her eye and a sly smile and said, "I didn't listen to Ms. Marie" Oh, dear. Well, there's always Maryanne. Maybe she'll be good in school. :)



6 comments:
7 hours of being on your best behavior IS tough! I can't even do it! And Lucy was seriously so good--just that one little time that my kid egged her on... :)
I have to try so hard not to give swats on those cute little bums! School is STRESSFUL. Getting your kids to live up to others expectations is so hard. But wow they do learn a lot. I think Luke is going to do just fine. Straight Es from the get go would be so boring. Who is his teacher?
heeeeeee! it is going to be SOOOO fun to look back on his first week when he's a cool teenager. he is doing so well! seriously i'm a proud auntie. and lucy is too cute for words on her first day. what a fun time she is going to have.
I just love your darling kids :). Don't worry, I struggled with preschool and kindergarten, too, got in trouble all the time...I called the teacher stupid and put my feet in the popcorn bowl and peed my pants like six times. Rough times for my mom probably...But I think I came around by 2nd grade :)
Ah, we learn from one another, day by day. What adorable teachers.
Well, your kids aren't boring! They keep giving you plenty of material to write about on your blog.
Post a Comment