Wednesday, August 28, 2013

An English Tea Party


One of my best friends in Memphis is spending the next 6 months in Bristol England!  (waaaah!)  So, to send her off properly we threw her a British party with all the finest teas and delicious crumpets known to Mormons. (It was actually really funny cause I had to assure people that the tea was ok to drink as they eyed me suspiciously)  Sheri is also pregnant with her very first GIRL!!  And I couldn't be happier for her.  So it was a tea party / baby shower / good-bye party. 


The party planners:






To combine the themes of British and baby - we played a game to guess the American words for the list of 25 British baby words.  Like pram, dummy, nappy, etc.  It was pretty fun.
Party goers: Jerianne, Becca, Sheila, Johanna, Jill, Gianetta, Marie, Alicia, Angie, Sheri's mom, Katie, Melissa, me, Marcia

And then she opened presents.  I always love presents that involve tiny baby clothes.  And picturing a new little person in all the clothes - it's so exciting. 
(Sheri's mom Lynn, Sheri and Amanda)




Hat Story: I went to look for a hat for the party and found an old hat in an antique store from the 40's.  It once belonged to Ms. Ellen Davies-Rogers who was born in 1903 on the famous Tennessee "Davies Plantation" which she later inherited.  She was known far and wide as "Miss Ellen" and was known in the 20th century as the most influential woman in Tennessee.  She had a note pinned inside this hat that said "wore this hat to Egypt"   How cool is that?   I mean, it's kind of falling apart but it was so fun to have a hat with a story.  And doesn't it make me look a little more.... influential in Tennessee?






It was also my birthday - so it counted as my birthday party too.  Everyone sang as I ate my British cupcake. :)



So, happy travels friend!  You are missed.  We anxiously await your return with your new little British bundle.


3 comments:

Mike McBorg said...

Seriously, are there any funner friends to have than the Songer-Hales and the Hale-Wilsons?

edith said...

Jealous! I love tea parties.
And I love your hysterical, I mean historical hat!
No really, I'm so envious of people who can wear hats--they are so cute but they make me look like a jaw.
Your friend must feel like the queen after such royal treatment.

kate said...

that was maybe the best baby shower ever! you are a genius. i loved it so much! i also loved your hat SOOOOO much (the way i just wrote that makes it look like i loved your hat more than i loved the shower, and that's not true, but it's really close.) you were made for hats and being influential in tennessee. in fact, you are definitely the most influential woman in tennessee in my book. sorry i am slow and didn't get your cake picture to you. i am sending it now.

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed