Sunday, April 4, 2010

Lucy's Blessing Day

Sunday, March 28th, 2010

I loved this day. It was emotional for me to listen as Joey blessed Lucy with strengths and attributes for her life. To think of her growing up, what she will be like and the joy and disappointment she will experience. This dear, sweet girl. And I get to be her mom. I loved listening to conference this weekend - so many of the talks were about parenting and how precious these children are. It made me realize my responsibility and what an opportunity it is to be a parent and that I've got to hurry and get awesome so I can be a good example and have answers for these kiddos.

She wore the dress that I was blessed in and all my sisters and all the nieces born into the family. All the names and birthdays are sewn on the dress. Jenny, me, Sarah, Emily, Anika, Clarissa, Meredith, Rosalie, Gracie and Solenne. And now Lucy. She will be the first one without the last name Songer since I am the first girl in my family to have a baby girl.

Here is our 4 generation picture of girls - mom, me, grandma and Lucy Kate


she's giving me the - really mom? that is sooo not cool- look as I try to impress her with some high pitched goochie goos.

18 comments:

Christie said...

So sweet. What a cool story about the dress. :-)

Lana said...

I love that you have two kids :) I love that you all have worn the same dress and put thier names on it (we just started that with my girls). I love the four generation pic of you girls!! You are all so beautiful, and its so good to see your mom again. I miss her- and yes I still try to be perfect like her (she is always my role model) I love you Katie and miss you tons!! Im so glad you are loving being a mom, and an excellent one at that!!

calico cat said...

Beautiful!

hayleemj said...

She is a cutie! That is awesome about the dress and the names sewn into it, what a cool thing.

By the way your hair looks soooooo cute! :)

Clint C. said...

Four beautiful women! Edith made me a handmade blessing dress for Haley in the antique style and embroidered Haley's name on it. I didn't know that was a Songer tradition, we'll have to pass that down to our grand-daughters.

victoria said...

Really great pictures, every one. We loved, loved having you here! We got the same thoughts out of conference. It was very motivational. We love you guys!

Amber said...

Katie and Joey-

She is so beautiful and getting so cute and round. Looks like being a family of four is treating you well.

Josie said...

Wow, what an amazing dress! That is so neat! I am so impressed you've been able to keep the dress looking so lovely and free from spit up stains for so long, truly amazing. You are a beautiful Mom Katie! What a treasure to have such a perfect 4 generation picture.

edith said...

I got a great vibe off Lucy when you guys were here. She's got a fun personality. And Rosalie just couldn't keep her hands off her.
I love that your last two posts featured dresses that I have highly altered to get them to their current awesome states. But they wouldn't be so great without the models. A beautiful model can make anything look good.

Emily said...

top photo:

i expect that wink was for me, katie. right back at ya.

in other news, your darlings are cute as pie and your mom is dang straight up hot.

must run in the fam.

kate said...

she is sooooo beautiful! an oozing with personality. like her mom.

Katie said...

that's right em- that wink was just for you. last summer we were swimming in the lake and it was really sunny and my niece clarissa said "aunt katie, why is your eye always winked?" i guess i just like to make sure everyone is feeling nice and creeped out by my constant wink. especially when it's sunny.

Robin said...

She is sooo beautiful! What a great tradition with the blessing dress. I'm glad it was such a special day for your little family. And, could you look more gorgeous??? NOPE!

Tanner said...

Oh, congrats you guys!!! She is SOOO sweet, so cute!! I love the blessing dress... it's beautiful!! Hope all is well -- miss you!

Cookie Monster said...

I didn't know all your names are sewn into that dress. I should do that with my dress! What a neato idea! Love all the pics. Keep 'em coming Katie!

Star said...

Such a sweet little girl. I'm so glad I got to snuggle her for a bit!

Mom & Dad said...

What a beautiful family you are, and what a beautiful family you come from.

Rachel Murdock said...

Wow Katie! She is so incredibly beautiful! Congratulations. I'm so happy for you and your little family. Love ya!

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed