Monday, January 25, 2010

How I met her

It was a dark and stormy night (no, for reals, it was) about a week before my due date and all was quiet on the home front. At 11:45 pm my water broke. I mean, I guess it broke. I wasn't so sure. But because of the above mentioned darkness and storminess it just wasn't convenient to be running off to the hospital and having a baby. :-) So, I went to bed instead. I had some contractions through the night but nothing big and when I woke up, it was like nothing ever happened. I felt completely normal and my contractions had stopped. Did I dream all that? But I went to the doc's to have them test for amniotic fluid and sure enough I had broken my water. They actually escorted me to the hospital and checked in for me (since I obviously couldn't be trusted) and I called Joey to come and meet me there. I sat alone in my hospital room feeling normal with no contractions and thought - oh man, this is going to be a long day. They started me on Pitocin at about 10:30, I had my first contraction at about 11:00 (Joey got there just in time for the fun part), I had contractions and pain until about 1:45 and then I got an epidural -ahhh. With Luke the epidural didn't work - meaning a whole lot of extra, unanticipated pain and inserting that delightful needle twice - so I was really happy to have this one work the first time and it worked so fast. But I was only able to relax about 20 minutes when I felt an extreme amount of pressure. I had the nurse check me and I was complete and ready for pushing. I was so happy to have dilated to a ten so fast but this was the part I was dreading most. With Luke I pushed an hour and a half and was so exhausted by the end I didn't even feel like I could hold a baby and I felt sort of robbed of the emotions I expected to feel. So, I wasn't looking forward to this. But, about 15 minutes into it the doctor and and nurses started scrambling to get ready to deliver the baby. I said "what is happening?" The doctor said "try not to push just yet. we are almost ready. you are about to meet your daughter!" I couldn't believe it happened so fast! I felt a rush of emotion and squeezed Joey's hand. We both had tears in our eyes and I just felt excited and happy. And then with one more easy push - she was there. On my chest - grey and grimy and covered in goop - and beautiful. My daughter. My DAUGHTER! Meeting her was one of the best experiences of my life.

It's crazy how in a few short hours you can go from normal day to holding a new baby in your arms - YOUR baby. Someone you've carried around with you for 9 months but never seen before. The past few days have been so magical (but also mixed with a little crazy post birth emotions mind you). There is nothing like looking into the tiny face of a newborn and having her look back at you and just feeling your heart swell. We have all felt the spirit stronger in our home and are falling in love with this beautiful baby girl.

Here is a video Joey took when Lucy is 20 minutes old. Disclaimer - I didn't know he was taking it.




ps - so i'm realizing the challenge of having a second baby. i want to be two people. a fun, energetic mom who showers her two year old with love and attention, who is not distracted and fully enjoys this 2 year old stage. AND a mom who just gets to sit on the couch and stare at her newborn with no interruptions or rambuctious 2 yr olds who maybe want to sit on or squish the baby. so, any suggestions how do mesh those two?

22 comments:

thelivesofthebradyfamily said...

Oh, so cute! You have a daughter!!!

Jake said...

I needed some quality dry Joey botox humor. Thanks for that, I laughed out loud. Hope to see you four in March.

edith said...

Rosalie had a squnched forehead,too. And I'm seeing a little Lewene in her.
What a cute little podling.

kate said...

she is so alert! amazing. it is really hard to go from one to 2. one thing that helped me was having malan involved in everything she wanted to help with so she was getting attention, like asking her to get diapers or wipes or a blankie or a toy for the baby. it is such a big change, but it gets better and better pretty fast. so happy for you!!

Jenny said...

Great post--I especially love the title and the first line.

How much does she look like Luke? Don't you think you should put up comparison pictures of both of them? And I want you to talk about who you think Lucy Kate looks like between you and Joes.

Christie said...

Awww Congratulations!!! She is beautiful!!

victoria said...

Oh boy, you really like your little girl, don't you? Enjoy them both. It's a good thing that newborns sleep so much, so you can give some attention to your 2-year-old. I agree that helping Luke to feel like Lucy is his baby, too, will help him not feel excluded. And try not to get too mad at him when he bites her fingers.

Emily said...

no secret weapon but time.

i would say expect to be the kind of mom you want to be (for both kids) in about four and a half months.

that's when the fog lifted for me, and i felt like i *finally* knew what i was doing.

now of course, maternally, you're far more advanced than i am, so maybe you'll feel in control faster (i'm definitely slow on the uptake), but newborn routines change so much during those first four months that it's hard to get real bearings.

in the beginning, it was like playing ping pong between the kids, and getting hit in the head with the ball a lot...

such marvelous and beautiful chaos :)

MamaSulli said...

Katie and Joey!
This so so exciting! We're thrilled for you....and PLEASE call if you ever need another mother of two to talk to and discuss with. We are thrilled for you guys....

Carol and Mike Sullivan
231-437-3133

Starley Family said...

Oh Kates! I love that I can feel your excitement from your post! You are such an awesome Mom! I have no idea on the juggling two thing...I am still trying to work it out and we'll have 3 in 3 months. Maybe you can send me some advice! Love, love with all you've got and they will love you back just as fiercely. Seriously. Katelyn's kisses are brutal these days.

Lucy's perfect, scrunched forehead and all, just like you!

Clint C. said...

How awesome that you have that little slice of heaven on video! Everyone loves her!

Rex said...

All I can say is awesome!!!!!

Zach and Nikky said...

YAY! Congratulations. I'm glad it was a faster process than the first time around!

Rachel said...

Hooray! How awesome...um Katie, you just had a baby. If I can justify sitting on the couch doing nothing, you sure as heck can. :) And what's it like for you and Joey to be your hilarious selves? Do you just sit around and laugh all day cause everything you two say makes me laugh out loud. Love you guys. Congrats on the cutie.

Lisa said...

Yay! Congratulations! She's so cute and I love the name Lucy. We've actually thought about that name in case we EVER have another girl. I hope you're feeling well and that everyone is adjusting, especially Luke.

Brooke said...

So many congratulations! I love the video. Lucy looks like I feel every morning!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new baby! We're so excited for you guys, and I'm glad she came earlier than you expected :)

Jennifer said...

Yay!!! So exciting! She is a lucky baby! And you are blessed!

Ye Stewart Clan said...

I. LOVE. LUCY.

Unknown said...

Congratulations from the Doxey"s !

Ninon said...

Congratulations! What a good job! She's beautiful!

Savanna said...

katie and joey, congrats on a new baby! she's beautiful. also, sure. i'll work for joey... providing the boards go well. maybe he and brigham can open up a joint practice or something? just an idea. the wheels are turning.

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed