Thursday, February 7, 2008

Celebrating 4 years


January 22 marked 4 years of marriage, 14 years of being best friends, 17 years of friendship and 21 years since we met. And since Valentine's Day is coming up and love is in the air - I thought I'd post accordingly. (p.s. readers beware of possible lovey and mushy sentiments - proceed with caution)

Top 10 things I love about Joey:

1. He is by far the funniest person I've met. There is never tension in our marriage because he makes everything fun and light and it makes it really hard to get a good fight in... believe me I've tried.

2. He's inherently good. He has a heart of gold. He genuinely WANTS to do the right thing and always sees the best in people. Something I've always admired in him is that he never says anything negative about anyone (except Dr. Reidy) so it kinda makes it hard for me when I want to gossip. He's good to keep me in line.

3. He loves me. Now this is something I never thought I could say. When we were best friends and I knew I wanted to marry him, I decided a long time ago that even if we did ever get married, I would always love him more than he loved me - and I was prepared to accept that. But he's somehow managed to match my feelings of adoration. (at least he puts on a pretty good show)

4. He's hip to the bone and a handsome cool cat. I've always, of course, thought this. The first time I took notice of him was at a Valentine's Dance at Snowcrest Jr. High and I remember he was wearing a nice Gap sweater and I thought he was so good looking. And because he was the second to youngest in a huge family of 12 - he was always a step ahead knowing all the coolest music and movies. I think he has really good taste.


5. He's athletic. I think we first really bonded when we started running together regularly in Huntsville. We'd go on runs and then end up jumping in the lake and going for a swim or talking at some beautiful look out point. We also did a lot of snowboarding, ice skating, watersking and mountian biking together. He played hockey in high school and for BYU and likes soccer, volleyball, basketball, tennis and baseball.

6. He's is a freaking genius. For anyone who has played trivial pursuit or watch Jeopary with him - you will know that he has a gift for knowing EVERYTHING. Something totally random that normal people wouldn't know - he knows. He never has to study for tests and always seems to do fine. I know, kind of annoying right? His new favorite show is a trivia show called "cash cab" on discovery channel - he can't get enough of it.

7. He is helpful. Joey is a bit of a rarity and the kind of husband every girl wishes they had. He is incredibly helpful. He does laundry, cooks, cleans and for being so laid back - it is surprising how much he gets done. He has tiled, put crown molding up, painted, refinished our floors etc. but it's the day to day stuff that he does too that always amazes me.

8. He has a zest for life and a love for learning. He gets really excited about things He loves new electronics, NYC and food. He also loves learning new things - like when we went snorkling in Hawaii - he learned all the names of the fish. When we went to Europe - he loved soaking up all the knowledge in every museum and landmark. And at the zoo - yep, he has to read every plaque about every animal. Even though I complain, I kind of love it.

9. He loves his family. I've always admired the way he treats his mom. Growing up, he never once left the house without kissing his mom goodbye. And he's never criticized her at all - even when he was a teenager he would tell me to be nicer to my mom. He really respects his parents.

#10 and most important reason: He was voted "Best Eyes" in 9th grade.


some blasts from the past....





11 comments:

edith said...

Wow! How did my brother get to be such a nice person. I'm not nice like that. I hope it's not too late.
I'm so happy you're so happy.

edith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

I love the pictures! That's so fun that you've known each other for so long!

Clint C. said...

Wow, Joey blonde! How did I miss that phase? Was it Songer envy? I love your list, Katy. I've always thought these things about Joey, too. I remember once when I was home from college he and a bunch of his friends were going through the Jr. High yearbook and his friends were trashing every girl. "She's sooo ugly! She's pyscho!" On and on. After a while Joey quietly said, "I think every girl in our school is beautiful." There was a big long pause and it pretty much put a kibosh on that activity. I was impressed. When I was expecting my first boy I was pretty nervous because our house was pretty much ruled by women (Clint's too). We really didn't know how to do boys. Then I thought of my little brother Joey and thought it would be wonderful if they were like him. And my boys really do look like him! And Tal has that same sweet heart.

Clint C. said...

I have to add another comment about Katy! You've practically been in the family forever. You're in our wedding photos (94) and I remember at Casey and Edith's wedding breakfast you sang, "I love you, a bushel and a peck!" Clint and I were so impressed. There's a girl who lights up a room! We've got to have her in the family! To know you is to love you, both!

Weavers said...

You're a pretty great catch yourself katie! I'm glad you two got married. We love both of you guys. It was fun reading your top ten b/c Jared always says those excact same things about Joey. He really admires him..and I think he always has. Jared had some rough friends to begin with and that group really helped him become who he is now. Hurray for the Hales!

kate said...

we love joey and katie! you are both so amazing and fun and nice and great.

The Gainors said...

so true- i've never seen a couple more "made for each other" love you guys- and is luke a miniature joey or what?

adrienne and ryan said...

What?! I did NOT know that you guys have known each other than long. That is too cute. We need to get Cael and Luke together some day for a "guys day."

Star said...

Man, I feel like a heel, it was my 10th anniversary on Jan. 24th, and I didn't even THINK to do something this nice. A declaration of love and appreciation shared with the world? I'll put that on the to-do list. I love that you two are together! There couldn't be a more perfect couple (except for maybe me and Lee). I feel like Joey is my brother, and you are my sister, kindof weird but it just works! I was very impressed as a kid that Phil was always so sweet to Barbara, and I noticed that Joey was always respectful to his parents, especially his Mom. Ya dun good Katiepoo! Happy belated anniversary!

Rachel said...

Love the do! Katie I think you and Joey are the two funniest, coolest people I know and Luke is totally lucky to have such fun parents. Someday I hope I can be like you guys. :)

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed