Somehow our doctor was WAY behind this day and so we had a LONG wait to see him. So, I read to Freddy and took video while we waited. It was actually kinda fun to be focused solely on this little guy who usually has a lot of competition. (video notes: totally randomly he's been chanting what sounds like "I've got a daddy!" Luke says he's teasing orphans. :) Also, recently when he encounters a stranger - he automatically sticks out his bottom lip...it's kinda cute. So the nurse is saying "why is that lip pokin?" And also - Freddy always pats his chest when he says "dada" because Joey did that when he was teaching him. haha)
I love watching this little person just walking around or climb around because he just seems too little to do all that he does. He's climbed out of this packn'play already, he can climb up the ladder to Luke's tall bunkbed, he climbs up on the kitchen table to forage for food and can climb UP a slide and slide down by himself. He's a scrappy little fella and is pretty independent. That's what we always thought anyway - until we tried to take him to nursery. He's usually fine to just run and explore and not worry too much about having mom close - but for some reason he's deathly afraid of nursery and clings to me or Joey for dear life. He's so sad when we leave and never really recovers. I don't even know how to handle this. But anyway, I'm getting sidetracked - here he is just walking down the street.
Speaking of him being independent. He's been escaping lately and has had to be rescued a few times by a goodly neighbor. If a kid comes through the door and forgets to close it - he sees his opportunity and takes it. And just runs out and down the sidewalk. That's why I'm so surprised that he's having separation anxiety in nursery. When we are all coming in from the van and I put him down - he runs for it. But, unlike Luke, he makes sure I'm watching him. If I just go in the house with the other kids it takes all the fun out of it for him so he just come in too.
Ok - so this book pretty much defines his last few months...
It's a story about a little baby kangaroo, Joey, who bravely takes his first few hops and explores but when he meets new creatures - he gets a little nervous and yells "POUCH!" and jumps back in his mama's pouch. Freddy is obsessed with it. He used to say "Pow!" for pouch but his language is regressing I guess because now he just says "Ga!!" for pouch. :)
Bros
Viking fly-swatter to the rescue
Fix-it Freddy
And do you ever just look in your rear-view mirror and think - oh look at that little face!! Sometimes it just strikes me out of the blue that I'm actually a mom.
One thing I love about Freddy is that he's such a nice and gentle boy. His favorite thing in the world is "ballllll" (I love how he says "ball"-- sort of deep and garbled from the back of his throat) He would play catch with you for hours. (ask Uncle Caleb) And he's been throwing ONLY balls until recently. He realized he could throw anything. And knowing how much he loves to throw a ball around - I was worried that this would become a big problem. But I pretty much told him not to and he stopped. (!!) He knows that he can only throw balls. He'll pick up something hard that he knows he shouldn't throw and just sort of wind up and pretend to throw it and keep it in his hand.
Oh wow - this post is getting overly detailed. Sorry. But I'll be glad in 20 years right? Well, here is another 2 minute video of a few other things...for posterity...
We sure love you Freddy Bowens. Love your nuzzles and snuggles and your elbow dances too! Keep up the good work.







3 comments:
I totally loved that! Anyone who loves Freddy will also. He is the sweetest and the best.
Watched 'em all! Love that Freddy Bowens. You've got a great crew. And did you get a new piano?
We are the type of parents that believe in just dropping your kid in nursery and leaving. They get over it. It's much easier on the nursery leaders that way. Don't baby them. It is obviously the right thing to do. Right? I mean, we are awesome parents so of course our method was correct. Then we had Dodge. He hated nursery. The drop and go didn't quite work with him. He would beat us out the door and down the hall, screaming all the way. I had to reevaluate my parenting style. Anyway, in the end, we would drop him for a while and then just get him back out again because he was not calming down. We didn't know what else to do and I felt horrible letting him scream and cry. We even made 'go to nursery without crying' his goal for 2015. It took until he was the full 24 months before he would go to nursery and stay there. Now he has fun going. The kids always drop him off and pick him up before I get a chance and he is happy. Maybe it is just too early for Freddy. It was for Dodge. Dodge and Freddy sound like they would be friends...constantly getting away and walking through the neighborhood on their own. Maybe they are meant to be friends and they are really just out trying to find each other :)
Post a Comment