Thursday, March 1, 2012

The order she leaves in her wake

ems and i at "into the woods" play

My sister Emily is an organizational wizard.  So, when she asked me if she could come on a trip to Tennessee to organize my house - I said.... "hmmm, let me think about that.... um YES!"   She was here for just 8 days and she accomplished everything we wanted to do and WAY more.  She is the kind of person who will just go and go until something is done.  And even though it's kind of embarrassing to post all these "before" pictures - I just want to express how badly I needed this.  And the pictures do NOT do her work justice.  She didn't just clean up and make things look better - she went deep and made us get rid of a ton of stuff and made things FUNCTIONAL.  I seriously think she should do this as a career.   We are sad we didn't get pictures of the van loads of stuff we took to recycling and to Goodwill.  It felt SOOOOO good to get this done.
PROJECT: Desk

BEFORE
 AFTER

FILES -BEFORE  
(we had a couple of these fileboxes and then some loose files under my desk)

AFTER
(found a good deal on an oak filing cabinet on craigslist)

CORDS & ELECTRONICS - BEFORE (all over house)

AFTER
(we recycled a huge pile of cords and phones at best buy and the rest are labeled. ahhhh....)

 DESK CUPBOARD- BEFORE

AFTER



PROJECT: Bonus Room Closet

BEFORE

 AFTER
(Joey built shelves and hooks)


PROJECT: Attic storage

BEFORE

 AFTER
(i am so happy about having totally organized baby clothes! just in time)

 BEFORE
 AFTER
(Joey extended flooring)


PROJECT: Garage 
She wasn't planning on doing this at all but took a whole Saturday sweeping, cleaning and organizing it

 BEFORE
 

AFTER

(i am loving this clean walkway from my van)

and a few bonuses...

She picked out the throw pillow for my bed that I love, we organized some kids' learning stuff in the hutch that was all over and we cleaned out a junk drawer in the kitchen.



 hall closet 
(I wish so bad I had a before picture!  It was awful)

 Can you believe she did all of this in 8 days?!!!  So, my favorite thing is that she took junk drawers and stuff that was all over the house and put all like things together and labeled them.   It's such a cool feeling to know exactly what you have and where it is!   And Rebekah told us about free label templates at bhg.com/freelabels.  Emily just left today and I wanted to hurry and document all this before I mess it up.  It was so nice to be together as sisters and I am very impressed by her work ethic.  I know this gene is very prevalent in my family but it somehow skipped me.  And I think she got my portion.  Thank you EMZEEZ!  We already miss you!


9 comments:

shauna said...

What a fun week!! It is so refreshing to be in a room that you know is cleaned top to bottom and everything is in it's place. If you didn't inherit the clean gene it's because you got an extra portion of fun/crazy. Not a bad trade if you ask me :)

adventure knitter said...

Holy sac! Does your sister want to fly to Kenya and organize my house before I move?!

Jill Lau said...

That is so awesome!! It all looks great!! Makes me think I should start doing some of that.

Jenny said...

Wow, that's impressive stuff. I think she's ready to go commercial now.

victoria said...

WOW. wow wow wow. I need her. I want her. My problem is commitment. I need her decisiveness.

Clint C. said...

How fun to hang for 8 days! I love you Songer people!

Josie said...

WOW! Nice work Em! You are welcome to come to my house next!

I used to be really organized. Then I had kids. Not so much anymore.

My amazing friend Erin is an organizing maniac and posts a LOT of organizing posts on her blog if you want to check it out http://www.thesunnysideupblog.com/

Elder Dad and Sister Mom said...

Sister Hale says, "Inspiring!" Elder Hale says he likes the before shots.

Ye Stewart Clan said...

I *love* before and after pictures. Emily is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing! I feel more organized just reading this post!

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed