My parents flew into Memphis the night of the 13th and the next morning we went to Memphis Botanical Gardens and enjoyed the beautiful sunny day walking around looking at flowers and letting the kids play. We got home and put the kids down for their naps and I started having contractions about 4:30 pm. I was a little skeptical though because I had had two sessions of contractions that stopped just as I was about to head to the hospital. But these were strong and consistent and my mom was rushing around helping me pack and I was ready to go just as Joey walked in the door home from work. So, timing could not have been better. My parents had just gotten there and Joey was just getting home. My mom snapped a picture of us heading off to the hospital with me in pain - I'm sure it's super cute.
I got to the hospital around 6:30 and got hooked up to the monitors by about 7:00 and the nurses tried to act casual but I could tell something was wrong. They rushed to get an iv in asap and put an oxygen mask on me. They said the baby's heart rate wasn't what it should be. I was turning on my side to try to get in a position the baby liked. The doctor came in and said he thought we should do a c-section. I told him I really didn't want to and could we try anything else. So, he was nice and let us keep going - monitoring the baby and my progression. When he came in the 5th or 6th time and the baby's heart rate was still dropping with each contraction and not responsive at all during resting - he said the baby is tired out. He checked me and after all those contractions - I was still at a 3. He said there was very little chance the baby would weather a long labor and birth. And so we consented to do a c-section.
They wheeled me into the operating room and gave me the spinal block. It was scary but as soon as I felt the warm tingling sensation spread through my body - I could finally relax and the pain was gone. I was in heaven. They put up the blue sheet so I wouldn't see the violence they were going to inflict on me and Joey was invited in. They told Joey he could announce the sex of the baby. He was sitting with me holding my hand and they said "Dad, you don't want to miss this." And he stood up to look over the sheet and the baby was already out. (It seriously took like 30 seconds). I looked up at him and his face just lit up. He said, "Oh my gosh! .... It's a girl!" I felt a rush of emotion and tears streamed down into my ears as I lay on the operating table. I was so surprised! The whole time I was in labor we all referred to her as a him. "His heart rate dropped again" "He's acting up again" "He doesn't like that position" - I was sure it was going to be a boy but it was such a fun surprise to have it be a girl. And I guess it was just emotional because I was meeting another child. My own child. Born at 9:01 pm, 6 lbs 15 oz, 20 3/4 inches. She has been so wonderful and sweet. I love this stage where the baby is so sleepy and cuddly and I am almost glad to have a recovering, hobbling old lady body because it forces me to slow down and just focus on her. And I don't feel too guilty for just sitting, rocking and staring at my baby all day. (thanks to mom & dad for taking care of everything else) Oh, and turns out the reason her heart rate was having trouble was because the umbilical cord was wrapped around her legs.
Recovery has been interesting. That first day when I stepped out of my hospital bed - my incision felt like it was on fire. I couldn't believe how much pain I felt and even with pain medication. As I hobbled, doubled over in pain I thought - this is going to be the longest 6 weeks of my life. But I can't believe how in just a week my body has healed so much. I still feel pain but am not taking anything for the pain now and can walk around and get up and down much easier. I feel really good for the most part.
6 comments:
katie I have had four c-sections and honestly don't think they are so bad but then again I don't know the normal way to compare. Marissa has informed me that the c-sections are MUCH worse than regular. But, having been an experienced c-sectioner I do have a bit of advice. With Blake I got varicose veins and had to wear those compression nylons to help with circulation but it turns out they are AWESOME to wear AFTER a c-section. They hold everything in and I was able to walk around like normal because it was all held in and I didn't have to wear that huge white belt thing they gave me with daisy. They are seriously the best thing. So, if you ever have another c-section keep that in mind. I'm so happy for you to have another little girl. I love having girls. Congratulations.
I am so glad you are recovering quickly, Katie! Sorry you had to have an operation.
I hope we get to see cute little Maryanne soon. We saw Ethan today and he was super. But double cousins are special. They're practically my own kids!
oh, wow! i bet that all threw you for a loop! so glad there are safe ways for sweet maryanne's to get here when cords get all wrappy! i feel so lucky we get to meet her and be her neighbor soon. she is so lovely. and i'm so glad you're recovering well, katie. you are such a model! see yous guys real soon.
Welcome to the c-section club. It is definitely a little scary that first time. It took me a little while to realize this, myself, but -- Don't ever feel like you have to make excuses for having a c-section - because Maryanne is safely here, you are healthy and that's what matters. Glad you are recovering quickly. That baby is very pretty. Maybe looks a little like Rosalie?
Wow! Good timing Katie. I am glad you are having time to rest a little and enjoy little Maryanne. I love that name. My first best friend had that name. Just thought you should know that. I can't wait to meet her too! I miss you Katie. Kiss the kids and make a screech face to Joey from me. :)
Oh goodness Katie! I don't know why I am just reading this now! Ug, for the C section! But glad you are recovering well! Maryanne is adorable and I am so thrilled for you! Welcome to the 3 kid club! :)
Post a Comment