Sunday, October 17, 2010

day of rest?

today joes was called to be the second counselor in the bishopric. a month ago i was called to be the young women's president. today might have been a preview of what is to come. i've been running full speed until now - and it's after 10:00 pm. that scares me. i keep thinking - how are we going to do this?

but i will say that my feelings ran a little deeper today. i was more alert, had more energy and i would say even happier than normal. joey is feeling overwhelmed but said he feels like when he gets too complacent in his testimony - God gives him a challenge. like in high school how his life was crazy with social activities and playing sports and then he broke his ankle. he now looks back on that as a blessing. he felt like it slowed his life down enough to do some soul searching.

now, he gets to trade in some of his time spent boating and buying mt. bike derailleurs and electronics to working hard,to giving a lot of time and service and just being super busy. but we feel like this will be a good thing for our family. joey and i both agreed we kinda needed a spiritual kick in the pants.

13 comments:

Amber said...

Good for you guys. That is exciting and overwhelming all in one. Spencer is the Elder's Q Pres. and it can get a little crazy at time. I know it will be a blessing for you family though, and how lucky are the girls in your ward to have you for a YW Pres!

kate said...

seriously, i would love to be a young woman in your ward. how wonderful!!! but yes, also crazy to have both of you in such high demand callings! but i know the "mantle" of the callings will fall on your shoulders and you will be blessed to be all you need to be for those you are serving and for your family. you guys are so dern great. :) you'll be in our prayers.

Jenny said...

That's a late night! I'm glad you have such a good attitude about everything.

Jana said...

You will be terrific, both of you! Please please please let me know if you need anything...especially a break...and I will be happy to help out/watch children/vacuum...you name it.

Jennifer said...

Kyle is also the 2nd counselor in the Bishopric... and I can tell you that with the busyness comes many many blessings. I am in the Primary Presidency, so while it is exhausting on Sundays, that's about it for the week... so it's nice. My one complaint? I miss going to Elder's Quorum activities :( Oh well, we're so busy we probably wouldn't have time anyway! LOL. You guys are cute. I love your blog :)

edith said...

That's a good metaphor--"spiritual kick in the pants"! You'll be so great in Young Women's--I've always envied your enthusiasm.
Did you know "enthusiasm" means to have God within?
You guys are awesome. Can't wait to see you!

victoria said...

That's what you get for being good people. You'll both do great. Is there a non-moving policy once you're in the bishopric?

Clint C. said...

Yay. I always said Joe was Bish material. It's going to be a super great blessing for you guys. We would have totally skipped our ward to go watch that event!

Rainee said...

Doug and I just left that world. He was 1st counselor in the bishopric and I was YW president for 2 years. I had a baby and they released me 3 months later. Boy I was relieved but sad because it was wonderful being with the young women. Good Luck!

Trisha said...

when matthew was the bishop and i was the relief society president life was SO CRAZY! But now that we're both excommunicated, things have really gotten much simpler! keep that in mind, but in the meantime, just try shirking! Shirk Shirk Shirk! Make it your motto!

adrienne and ryan said...

Good luck and way to stay positive. I thought I had it rough being the Webelos leader.

Savanna said...

Katie! I'm so happy that you comment on my blog-- there's not much exciting to write about (and there aren't any cute kids of mine to post pics of at the moment), but I love to hear from you. So cool that you just waterskied with Spence and Brenley. I'll be there for Thanksgiving... Can't wait to see them!

olderockhouse said...

Trisha's comments crack me up...funny but true. You'll be so great and sometimes it is good to get a kick in the pants. It's nice that callings change every few years so the business can eb and flow. You have a blessed ward to have you both. Now I am hoping that our ward gets a Songer YW pres...heh heh heh!

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed