Back in September my parents paid a quick visit. It was weird having visitors and Luke being in school. We missed him.
But there was some nice Grandpa and Maryanne bonding...
And also some Grandma and Lucy bonding. Lucy loved Grandma's "sticks". It's not pictured, but Lucy got out her pink umbrella and her yellow bat and used them as her own sticks everywhere we went.
(I don't think I ever wrote about WHY my mom has said sticks. She was climbing a ladder to hang some lights for a party and stepped off the last rung - only it wasn't the last rung - so she fell on the cement and broke her pelvis. Since my dad's recent ladder incident, it's the neighborhood joke that the Songers are no longer allowed to get on ladders! But by the end of her visit here she was walking on her own and is now jumping on the trampoline every day and doing great!)
Lucy gets on a ride on the sticks...
Grandma was definitely a favorite in Lucy's eyes. She got a new fairy outfit and just loved it.
And when Luke WAS around, he made his presence well known. He was so excited to play tricks on his sweet grandparents. He slyly snuck over and sprayed disappearing ink right in Grandma's face! And on my new cardigan. I know it's disappearing, but still quite disconcerting. Little boys, sigh.
Bonding time for all...

And now....presenting...dun dun dun dun!!!!.....
THE TABLE!!!
So by now we know that my dad doesn't just take vacations without doing some major project. Well, for a few days we had a hard time settling on one. I had 5 or 6 ideas but nothing was clicking. I knew I needed a kitchen table - so my parents were helping me shop for one. But they were all crazy expensive and nothing I really liked. We came home for lunch and I was looking for ideas online. I found a table I really loved and thought it would fit the space we had really well. My dad came and looked at it and said, "I could make you one like that!" I said, "really? are you sure dad? Do you even know how to build a table?" He said, "no not really but I could probably figure it out." He was so excited that the next 5 minutes he made a few measurements and was out the door to Home Depot - his own heaven on earth. So, in the next day and a half my dad built me a table! And it is my dream table. What a dad!!!!
building...
priming...
primed (and dad had to fly out that day, so we finished it)
spray painted....
glazing...
expert glazer...
KITCHEN BEFORE AND AFTER
I bought a few mismatched chairs from a antique shop and then spray painted a few we already had. (and still need to spray paint a couple of them)
And my favorite thing about the table is that it can fit 10 people!!! It's just a tiny bit bigger but with the corners cut off it allows for 4 more seats!!! And more room to put food in the middle. (oh and check out Jane and Luke) ... (and Joey who is pretending to be mad at me for taking pictures)
THANKS DAD!! I love my table!
And thank you mom for always making the travel arrangements to come and see us... even when you have a broken pelvis! We love you guys!!
PS - here are a few other projects I never documented....








7 comments:
you definitely have the workinest dang dad i ever saw. those are awesome projects! and of course i love your table and chairs so much! almost as much as i love the chair you bought ME! you and your dad
WOW! I LOVE your table and the chairs are so fun. It makes me want to repaint mine but that sounds like a lot of work. It's so great when parents come visit.
oops, published that too soon. meant to say you and your dad are just good at making other peoples houses look good. :) i love it when your parents come to visit, they are so fun and nice.
That is a great table. You have good and smart taste. I knew pedestal tables were the thing but I never thought about cutting off the corners--smart! Nice glazing. You are way fashionable. And I love going back in time and seeing Luke and Lucy small again in those videos.
So I pretty much love your parents. I know I only met them a couple of times, but they are just the nicest people! I can see where you get it. ;) I am in awe of your Dad's mad building skills. That table is beautiful!! I can't wait to see it in person.
I love that table. Now I want to make one. Especially since it was wider to fit the food and the cut corners. I love it. We have different colored chairs too. It make it more funny than a regular old matching set.
Hey do you ever hear from Sheri? I know she just went to England and didn't fall off the face of the earth but it sort of feels like she did. I see her blog but have had no other contact. Is there a way to contact her?
Oh, I wish we had a picture of Lucy who figured out two "sticks" she could use for crutches. She would hobble alongside of me. It was so cute!!! Yeah, good thing I brought Dad 'cause I was pretty worthless : )
Post a Comment