Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Half Birthday for Luke

Luke's half birthday happened!   It was in June and I decided to try it out and see how I liked it.  I wanted to throw a summer birthday party (cause all my kids have winter birthdays) and I thought it would be nice to celebrate now and so I would be off the hook in December when everything is a lot more busy and crazy.

So, I'm please to report that I absolutely loved it and will probably be making this a tradition for Luke.  Luke is our lover of toys and all things material so it's nice to be able to split up his gifts and so he doesn't have to pine away for a year at a time for things he wants and then get present overload in December.  I basically have nothing going on in June - so it was very low stress and easy. So Lukey-boy, your half birthday is born. 

I came up with lots of fun ideas for activities to do for his party but all Luke wanted was to "swim at Josh's".  So, our dearest neighbors allowed us to have his party in their backyard pool.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - I really do have the best neighbors ever.  Thanks Cremeans for letting us use your pool!!!!  
 
Luke wanted a Indiana Jones birthday party.  I don't know why or how he even knows who that is - but we went with it.

The Snake Walk
"Why did it have to be snakes" -Indy
The kids had to walk through snakes without touching them



The Leap of Faith Bridge
Had to make it safely from one side to the other on moving floaters without falling in.  
And Luke decided there should be crocodiles in the water if you fall.  So if someone fell - they got eaten by the kid crocodiles.  




Bomb the Nazi Bad Guy
Threw water balloon grenades at this dude 

ammo ready?
fire!
 


keep on target, atta boy


Treasure Chest Pinata



Whaaat?  No gold in the treasure chest?  Just candy ...and toys and ... wait... a treasure map....


Come on guys!!  Run run!  The gold is behind the shed!  
 (this was really just so we could keep the chocolate in the freezer until seconds before they found it)

Guests at Luke's party:  Elle and Sophie Beers, Jake Farrell, Charlotte Fairbanks, Max Meacham, Matthew Lau, Malan, Jane, Olivia and Emme Wilson, Graham Bate, Jeremiah Danielson and Joe Hutchinson.

Sarah and Calvin Meacham.                                       Josh and Luke Beers.
 Allison and Maryanne  
(this was so nice for me!  I didn't have to worry about Maryanne one bit)

 Surprise guest!!!


HALF birthday cake
with 5 1/2 candles





Presents

Half birthdays are a little bit funny cause it's like... hurray you are now officially 5 1/2 years old!  But hey, it was fun and I think my future self will be thanking my right-now self when December rolls around.  :)  
Happy halfy Birthday Luke!

8 comments:

Patricia said...

I love the HALF cake with the five and a HALF candles! But everything else looked like a WHOLE lot of fun!!!
Lucky Luke!

Katie B. said...

You do awesome parties. I agree--the half cake is inspired. And I love the snake walk and the leap of faith. You're so cool!

kate said...

what?! i totally did not notice the half a candle at the party! that is awesome!!! heeheee!! that was SUCH a fun party! my kids said it was the best day of the summer and their favorite birthday party ever. i think you are inspired to do it this way. december is just too crazy. maybe emme will jump on the half birthday bandwagon too. loved it!

eyepill said...

Hap Hap birt, Lu! Lo, Gran & Gra Ha

olderockhouse said...

I loved your last two posts! So many great pics and ideas. The half birthday cake is a classic for the books...one I must remember. So cute. I also LOVE Dad's post comment, so clever.

Wish you all lived here so we could come and enjoy yours and Kates clever 4th of July's and Birthday fun!

Mike McBorg said...

Wow, I am seriously impressed.

rebekah said...

Awesome! Luke looks so happy.

Marie said...

You are officially the coolest mom ever. You really nailed that Indiana Jones theme! And I love the half a candle. Happy half birthday Lukey!

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed