Saturday, March 30, 2013

Joey's 35th

Speaking of birthdays -  I never wrote about Joey's.  His birthday was a month ago but I started planning it at the beginning of January.  I seriously stayed up at night giddy with excitement with the budding of a crazy idea.  What if I sent him to the #1 disc golf course in the world that he had mentioned a while back?  I had to google it because I couldn't remember the name... some ranch in Texas?  I thought our family could go but I realized he would definitely need a disc golf buddy or two to come with us.   Then I wondered if any of his disc golfing bros would be crazy enough to fly out and meet him there.  I emailed his brother Mike with this harebrained idea and he emailed back a few minutes later with two words.  "I'm in."  Wo.  Ok, I'd better get figuring this out.  And then I called my brother Jake and he got really, REALLY excited (to put it mildly).   He started calling more brothers and I called the Disc Golf ranch in Texas and we got to work making this happen.  It took a few conference calls with the bros to figure out flights and dates but in the end it turned into a Bros of Joes weekend with SEVEN BROS! (and bro-in-laws) flying in to throw plastic at Sellah's 2 18 hole courses.  I felt like Sue, Kristin Wiig's character from SNL who usually ends up jumping through a glass window cause she gets so "freaking excited" about surprises.  But we had two long months ahead of keeping the secret until his birthday.  And despite calls from Jake trying to convince me to just tell him because he couldn't stand it anymore - we kept it a secret until his birthday.  (funny, I just read his birthday post from last year and it explains what a sad excuse for a birthday I gave him.  A direct quote from last year was " You just wait Joey - your 35th birthday is going to totally rock!! ")

Joe's birthday cake ...

 the big reveal of his birthday present-- a travel brochure describing the bros of joes weekend with photoshopped bobble-head brothers  (posted here)

So - after it all sunk in, Joey just got more and more excited.  We laid in bed for hours trying to go to sleep and at 1:30 he laid there in bed with his covers pulled up to his chin, eyes wide open and burst out "I'm freaking out! I'm just freaking out!"  It was fun to see him so excited.  And let me just tell you that I basically can do no wrong.  Even a month later Joey is still thanking me for his birthday present.  The gift that just keeps giving. 

Stay tuned to disc dreams for a recap of the trip.

2 comments:

kate said...

man that was awesome!!! and i get to reap the benefits too, because ever since caleb had his bros of joes weekend, he is so willing to let me go have me time. :) so thanks katie! you really are the BEST!! :)

victoria said...

Yay! That bday really turned out pretty good. And so many people got to have so much fun because of it. Nicely done, Katie. I like your cake, too. Our little mini basket has been used for many indoor tournaments - mostly by the men. They hide it on top of the washing machine, behind the couches, in the girls' closet, etc. They're such serious people.

Love you guys.

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed