What can three dollars and twenty cents buy? A lot. Namely, a round trip ticket on the Baltimore subway system. You get on in the burbs and you emerge in the urbs, close to the dental school. If you're a dental student then included in that price you can get a lot of other things. For a dental student this three dollars and twenty cents can buy you the utter disappointment of a patient who doesn't show up for you to finish your last requirement. Or the same round trip ticket can send you home with two cakes from your favorite patient who you will never see again. Well, on Monday the second of June 2008 the three dollars and twenty cents pictured above was the best money I have ever spent. It bought me my freedom from the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery University of Maryland Dental School. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the dental school. I'm grateful for what I learned there, but finishing dental school was hard. Walking out of the front doors for the last time was like finding a popsicle store after a long trudge through death valley. Even though I am now dealing with the stress of packing up our house, repairing many things in our house, buying a new house, etc., it's nothing compared to the stress of my last couple of months in dental school. So what can three dollars and twenty cents buy? It bought me one of the best days of my life.
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Three Washingtons and Two Roosevelts
What can three dollars and twenty cents buy? A lot. Namely, a round trip ticket on the Baltimore subway system. You get on in the burbs and you emerge in the urbs, close to the dental school. If you're a dental student then included in that price you can get a lot of other things. For a dental student this three dollars and twenty cents can buy you the utter disappointment of a patient who doesn't show up for you to finish your last requirement. Or the same round trip ticket can send you home with two cakes from your favorite patient who you will never see again. Well, on Monday the second of June 2008 the three dollars and twenty cents pictured above was the best money I have ever spent. It bought me my freedom from the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery University of Maryland Dental School. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the dental school. I'm grateful for what I learned there, but finishing dental school was hard. Walking out of the front doors for the last time was like finding a popsicle store after a long trudge through death valley. Even though I am now dealing with the stress of packing up our house, repairing many things in our house, buying a new house, etc., it's nothing compared to the stress of my last couple of months in dental school. So what can three dollars and twenty cents buy? It bought me one of the best days of my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Every story has a beginning...
Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.
happy kids
5 comments:
Yay for Joey, you're free, free, free! I went on that subway system. It was lot's of fun. Of course, I had good company.
Congratulations on a large obstacle over come. Now it's onward and upward. Cute post idea
Congratulations Joey!!!! When are you guys coming this way?
Hooray for taking that gravel out of your shoe. Enjoy your freedom, and your drilling, scraping, sticking your nose way down into the breath of your patients, slurping out the goo...! But really, I'm so glad for you to be done with school. It seems that you guys did a great job in Baltimore making friends and having a good life. Can't wait to see you next week!
that is awesome! way to go Joey!!
Post a Comment