Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Bi-Annual Tri-Family Quad-Challenge Lake Trip

(kate was taking the picture)

M&V came for their biannual fall trip to Greers Ferry Lake and this time they brought Chloe and Ellie!!  We went back to the same house that we loved so much.  It shares a cove with cliffs to jump off and is right by our favorite beach and next to groceries and restaurants.  So pretty darn perfect. 

You can't help but have fun when the Malmborgs come to visit.  When you get Mike, Caleb and Joey together - they come up with some pretty funny and fun games/challenges. 

Challenge number 1
Dance-off on the paddle board for as long as you could balance
I think Joey won with his dramatic, interpretive dance to flash dance
(we were videoing this, right?  Vic, do you have it?  Joey's was so funny)

you have to imagine these with 80's music blasting


Challenge number 2
Who can paddle the board all the way around the island of cliffs the fastest. 
Mike won this one.  I think he beat Joey by like 5 seconds... and me by 2 minutes. 

Challenge number 3
Try to not get knocked off the paddle board by the boat's wake.  This was a lot of fun and I think maybe Caleb won this one. 
Mike Malmbooooorg!

And challenge number 4 
one night the 3 couples stayed up and gave each other karaoke challenges.  One couple would pick the song, one would pick the style and the other couple would sing it.  And I'm sorry to say that I do have a few clips of it on video.  
The first two aren't part of the challenge but lovely (?) nonetheless: 
1. Confrontation - Joey and Mike
2. Summer - Mike and Jane
3. we've got Kate and Caleb singing Michael Jackson's Billy Jean - country style
4. Mike and Victoria singing Summer Nights - Do-wop style
5. And my favorite - Mike and Vic singing The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Robot style.  
I'm sorry.  We are dorks. 

lakekareoke from katiehale on Vimeo.

And the rest of the trip was just so nice.

 Maryanne on the boat trek to Sugar Loaf mountain and Ellie with a stick bug we found on the hike
 good hikin kids

the top

Riding back 
(it's great to have somewhere for extra people to go when we don't all fit on the boat.)
Oh and speaking of the way back - it's kinda far to Sugar Loaf mountain and on our way back we ran out of gas...about 100 feet from the marina.  We just paddled that 100 feet.  Pretty lucky.  (our gas meter still said 1/4 full)

Favorite Beach



Favorite Cliffs


This was one of the most enjoyable skis of my life.  The water was perfect glass.  I know this sounds dumb but I felt so alive.    We were all kid-free and just playing to our hearts content. 



so fun.
sure like that lake and those people.

7 comments:

Clint C. said...

Oh I love this! I know you've been a family of six for a long time, but I still go, Wow! everytime I see a picture of all of you. I still remember your family of 3 when we all first arrived in Memphis. Malmborgs and Hales - just plain fun and relaxed people. What a blast.

Mike McBorg said...

Now I have seen your post! Love it! One of the best trips ever.

Mike McBorg said...

How did we not get your rap version?

kate said...

Great post of a great trip! I'll be forever grateful that you and Joes made this a tradition, because oh the good times!! We are so good at Karaoke.

kate said...

Great post of a great trip! I'll be forever grateful that you and Joes made this a tradition, because oh the good times!! We are so good at Karaoke.

Lindsay said...

Looks like a great trip. I want to play with you. It looks like so much fun!

Jenny said...

Eliza is reading this with me and saying, "How come I'm not there? Why are they having so much fun without me?" Good question! Looks like a blast. Very creative group of people.

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed