Monday, August 10, 2015

Luke's geologist party

Joey is the nicest and said he would plan Luke's half birthday party.  I was worn out from all the other stuff going on and he totally stepped up.  So, Luke got to have the coolest geology party ever planned by his dad.   And it was on his exact half birthday - June 20th.   (ps - we do this so we don't have to plan anything in crazy December and to split up his presents for the year with birthday and Christmas)

In attendance:   Maryanne, Emme, Lucy, Jack, Olivia, Luke (the only one you can't see), Jake Farrell, Dawson, Jane, David and Malan. 

They are also in age order here because Joey is explaining the treasure hunt rules and I think they went youngest to oldest. 
Each one got to read a clue and go find their own geode.  And later Joey took them individually into the garage and cut open their geode for them with a tile saw.  It was cool cause they were all totally different inside.

They were running from the front to the back and all over our yard. 

The final clue took them here to the gutter.  The final geode was deep down in the gutter and Joey had to take off the grate.  Jane was the one to go down there but I think every single kid asked for and got a turn to climb down in there.  See how fun dads are?


 
(Olivia was sad for a minute cause she thought she didn't get a turn to go down into the gutter - but don't worry, she did.)
 
After everyone had their geode - they also got to dig up a big box of rocks and minerals then played spin the bottle to take turns picking which one they wanted and got their own little collection.
  (at this very moment - Maryanne was throwing up in the bathroom and I was in there with her cleaning up and giving her a bath.)
This was one of the coolest parts because we had an identification sheet that came with the rock and minerals.  So each kid would get a rock and excitedly look up what their treasure was and went home with a bag of rocks knowing what each of them were.  Blue Howlite, Pyrite, Sharks' Teeth, Rose Quartz etc, etc.  It was fun to hear them rattle off what was in their bag.
 


Luke's rock cake!
 

Topped with edible chocolate rocks that were surprisingly super delicious

 Presents!
 
Birthday Bots
lukesbots from katiehale on Vimeo.

Luke is one lucky boy.  And I am one lucky mama.  Thanks Joes for doing such an awesome party!

8 comments:

kate said...

I wish I would have stayed to watch this awesome party! You two...you have some lucky lucky kids. You do the neatest parties and always make your kids know they are so loved. My girls love their rocks very much! And that cake was soooooo delicious!

kate said...

I wish I would have stayed to watch this awesome party! You two...you have some lucky lucky kids. You do the neatest parties and always make your kids know they are so loved. My girls love their rocks very much! And that cake was soooooo delicious!

PhilHale said...

I can hardly imagine a better kind of party for a seven-and-a-half year-old Luke! Or a more scrumptious cake. I hope Maryanne was able to enjoy it. Happy half-birthday, Luke!

edith said...

Hooray for going down the storm gutter! That sounds so cool. And I'm totally going to borrow Wendy's tile saw the next time I get my hands on a geode--great idea!
I love those fake rock candies. We live in interesting times.
P.S. yes people bring books to Juli's little lending library. Mostly books they no longer want to own, like 50 shades of Grey.

Clint C. said...

You are smart, smart parents to do the 1/2 birthday for Luke. Joes is an awesome host. Oh the patience to let each kid go down in the gross gutter! I just miss you guys a lot. Is it ok if we come visit you next summer and go to the beach? And go boating? Before you don't live there anymore?

Robin said...

See what I mean? Joey plans the coolest birthdays!! I'm so glad Luke had a great day.

Robin said...

See what I mean? Joey plans the coolest birthdays!! I'm so glad Luke had a great day.

Robin said...

See what I mean? Joey plans the coolest birthdays!! I'm so glad Luke had a great day.

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed