Friday, August 1, 2008

good morning

So, I went on a walk this morning with Luke by our "lake of shining waters" (anne of green gable reference alert) at the end of the road. There are ducks and geese that come to greet you and then plunge into the water to show off their duck & geese skills. And a little walking path around the lake with a forest full of music-making bugs and birds. Today there was even a rare Memphis breeze and a bright blue sky and everything seemed perfect. I sometimes feel a little like a stepford wife. Every single house in our neighborhood is gorgeous with perfectly hedged bushes and immaculate lawns. In fact, I haven't seen many neighborhoods in this area that aren't. I can't figure it out. Where are all the slobs? I feel nervous that if we miss a week of mowing we're going to get kicked out of the neighborhood. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I felt pretty lucky this morning. A cute lady with 2 tiny dogs and a heavy southern accent stopped and talked to Lukey - she was so nice and friendly. (Another thing about Tennessee - where are all the grouchy mean people? Oh, in Baltimore.) And then, my next door neighbor's mom that I had met briefly was driving by and stopped to talk. She was also VERY friendly and seemed excited to see me. And then, just as I was almost home - some across-the-street neighbors waved hello. Last night, these same neighbors, with two darling boys, were running through sprinklers on their front lawn - parents included. I really think I love it here. Lake of shining waters? check. Seven geese a swimming? check. Friendly neighbors? check. Quiet, peaceful neighborhood with a beautiful blue sky and a gentle breeze....also, check (gentle breeze may or may not be included - see small print for details). As little orphan Annie would say "I think I'm gonna like it here"

14 comments:

Trisha said...

ohio goziemas! o genki deska! watashiwa o ai shtei mas! soccer shtia ima! nani oshtayi deska? i'll be patiently awaiting your reply.

Star said...

Trisha, only write comments we all can understand. I love this post, it sounds like such a dreamy place, can I move there too?
Oh yeah, we'd get kicked out for sure, I can't remember the last time we mowed. The joys of living on the dead end. I would love to see more pics of your house and neighborhood, though you do paint a perfect image with your description.

Beth said...

I love a good Anne of Green Gables reference! I am so glad you like your new home, it's important.

Rachel Murdock said...

Hi Songer Shimai!

You're in TN now?! My sister lives in Murfreesboro by Nashville, but they're moving soon. I sure miss you and am happy to have found your blog. Now I can finally know what the heck you've been up to!
Uda Shimai

Meemer said...

konban wa! nashville wa dou desuka? shashin ga suki desuga, oku no shashin wo misette kudasai. atarashii shashin oppai miru hoshii! sai onara.

Weavers said...

You brighten my day Katie!

victoria said...

Ahhh. Sounds so nice! I want to come visit. But first we're working on that whole China thing . . . I'm so glad people are nice and it's so beautiful! And I hear you have some Cresaps nearby, too! Oh, ir man reikia cia rasyti kazko niekas nesupras, tai butu smagu!

Jody & Chris said...

What is the twilight series? I'm thrilled to be done working BUT feeling a little lost without the schedule, places to be, and very important dental development emergencies. What can I say? I just took a nap with the dogs. Now I guess we'll go for a walk. Then clean out a closet or something.

Jana said...

I thought I'd also stalk you! I'm glad you are enjoying Memphis. When I first moved here it was so easy to see the bad (the news, anyone?) which is why I started focusing on the good (thus, my Memphis Mondays). Your neighborhood seems great, and the houses do all look perfect over there. I can't wait for it to cool off so I can come and enjoy the Lake of Shining Waters with you! It's too hot for me to venture very far...

kate said...

how wonderful! i'm so glad it's a great place to live. you guys probably just attract nice people though, if ya think about it. :)

Starley Family said...

Katie!!! You are too funny. I love that neighborly atmosphere. Especially the parents running through the sprinklers.
Nate says it reminds him of the movie About A Boy when he kills the duck with the bread loaf.
Miss your sunny smile.-Stace

Brooke said...

Hey Kates! Happy Birthday last friday. Sorry I'm a few days late. I love you lots and hope you had a great day!

Burnhams said...

sounds like a wonderful place. B'more isn't quite as happening. haha. Glad you are loving it there! We miss you

Shannon said...

Hey Katie! Cute blog! Yeah, our ward is full of a bunch of bloggers... :) It's nice though, especially when we don't get a chance to talk at church, we can still see how everyone's doing!

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed