Luke turned 4 months on Sunday and he hadn't slept through the night yet. He had a great schedule of only waking up once in the night and usually sleeping in - but we wanted him to be able to go the whole night. So, we read and talked and decided to try the 'cry it out' method that night. I was so nervous because I've heard how hard it can be so I stayed up reading success stories and about how good it was for the baby to help myself be psychologically ready. Sure enough - that night we woke up about 3:30 to our son's sad cries. It was so hard to just lay there - I felt like the biggest jerk. But much to my surprise - the crying only lasted 12 minutes (although it SEEMED a lot longer). He must of gone back to sleep. This was a huge breakthrough and I didn't quite believe it so I stayed awake a bit longer just to make sure. He slept until 8:30 in the morning!
We were prepared to do this for the next 3 or 4 nights but the last 3 nights he's just slept THE WHOLE NIGHT until 7:30! It's so weird for me to go to bed and not wake up until it's time to get up. (and by weird I mean awesome) What an good boy. I'm so proud of him. I think he was totally ready to sleep through the night and was just waiting for his parents to let him.
So - I weighed him a couple weeks ago and he was 17 pounds! What a chunkwonker. We have his 4 month appointment coming up and I'm excited to see where he falls in the charts. He's so long and "sturdy".
11 comments:
Congrats! It always feels good to have a good nice sleep!
way to go! i was never successful at cio. my babies just got mad and puked, and now my baby is in my room, well, it's just a great excuse at being a lazy mom. but you rock! congrats on the whole sleep think. luckeee.....
Hey Katie - I was so glad to meet your little boy the other night!! What a cutie!!!
hallelujah. that is such great news! what a nice young man to be so cooperative! and i like his little blue toilet looking chair thing, how cool! i've never seen those before.
So not fair. Actually, my first baby slept through the night at 10 weeks. But each kid has gotten less sleepy than the one before. Sigh.
Pthhhpth!!! That's me sticking out my tongue at you! Just kidding, I'm glad you gave a perfectly wonderful babe! All the better for the future of Isabelle.
this is Joey of "Joey and Katie Hill" and one of my friends told me about you guys b/c he accidentally ended up on your blog. It's kind of like that episode of Seinfeld, where Elaine made new friends who were a lot like Jerry, George, & Kramer and they called them "bizarro Jerry" and "bizzaro George" so either you are the "bizzaro" version of us or we are the "bizzaro" version of you.
Food for thought...
-joey
Wow Kates - that is awesome. You should get prepared for all of the phone calls you are going to start getting from me once Caelan is born!
Way to go Katie!!!! Isn't that the best feeling... but yet very alarming when you wake up and think Oh no is everything okay and you check on 'em and hear the sweet purr of baby breathing (or in Sarah's case she had a cold and was snoring). You are such a fantastic Mom! Way to prepare by reading all those success stories. I swear kids can tell when you are doing something half-hearted...
Yay katie, that is awesome! Luke is such a good, obedient boy. Isn't it a great feeling to wake up fully rested?
What? Luke weighs 17 pounds now? He is a chunk! Maya is still in the 16 pound area.
Hooray! It felt like a new life to me once the babies slept through the night. Good for Luke! 12 minutes - lucky you. And at 4 months - awesome. Enjoy your new rested life!
PS - At 4 months, Luke weighs 8 pounds less than Ellie (who just turned 2!)
Post a Comment