Well, there were those dreamy things I mentioned and there were also really, really hard days. I learned so much though and I know it would be easier the following years if we continued. So what I learned is the more hyper I was about an idea or a schedule, the easier I fell apart when my expectations were not met. If I put a lot of time, thought and effort into something - the worse it went for me. Seriously! Because I would build up in my mind how it should go and it never goes that way. I had to learn to chill out and let my kids lead a bit more. And I remember feeling a lot of guilt. Every night going to bed feeling like we didn't do enough. That was hard.
So the first semester was harder than the second because of my expectations. I had a schedule written out that seemed perfectly doable and I don't think we did it once. I wrote this in my journal a couple weeks in: "I feel lost all day. Like 'oh, let's do family reading - oh wait Luke needs to finish his job first - what should I do with Lucy for 10 minutes? - oh shoot Freddy needs to be changed again - yes, I can open that for you - oh you want to paint? ok - i think I'll just clean the kitchen really quick and then we'll do math.... " yep, that is a good snippet of the crazy whirlwind of the daily thoughts in my head. I just wasn't used to it but really we had so many good moments too. I'm so glad I tried it. I've always wanted to be an elementary teacher and so I got to be one! And to my very own kids.
So - here is the schedule that I came up with that we never followed. I learned to just carve out chunks of the day and not worry too much about time for each thing. But seeing this helps me remember our Tuesday Co-op which was Memphis Homeschool Enrichment Cooperative that was started by my good friends Alicia Wood and Anita Fairbanks. It was a lot of fun and my kids loved the social interaction with a ton of kids their own age. They each had 3 creative classes and then lunch and a big recess. It was great. Then on Thursday we did Lighthouse Leadership Academy - which was a lot smaller and it was a TJed focused group. I was the photographer for MHEC and I taught Luke's class (Love of Learning) in the LLA. (the kids and I just called them Tues co-op and Thurs co-op) Oh and the schedule says that dad did science on Friday - which he did and it was awesome. He was an excellent science teacher and did lots of fun experiments.
Monday / Wednesday / Friday
|
Tuesday
|
Thursday
|
|
7:30 or 8:00
|
Morning Family clean/ personal jobs
|
Scriptures / Poems
|
Devotional
|
8:30
|
breakfast
|
breakfast
|
|
9:00
|
Devotional
Family Read
History
BREAK
|
MHEC
HOMESCHOOL
CO-OP
|
LLA Wonders Class
|
10:00
|
Luke: Math
Lucy: Writing
|
||
10:30
|
Lucy: Math
Luke: Writing
|
||
11:00
|
Luke: Reading
Lucy: Practice Piano
|
||
11:30
|
Lucy: Reading
Luke: Practice Ukulele
|
Lucy: Practice Piano
Luke: Read
|
|
12:00
|
LUNCH
|
LUNCH
|
|
12:30
|
RECESS
|
Luke : Practice Uke
Lucy: Read
|
|
1:00
|
Science / Why Sessions? / Math Games/ Kid School /History (if we
missed it)/ Field Trips
|
LIBRARY
|
1:30 – Piano Lessons
Luke: Math
|
2:00
|
(if staying home)
Mon: MUSIC
Wed: ART
FRI: SCIENCE (w.DAD!) |
PARK
|
2:30 – Uke Lessons
Lucy: Math
|
Back-to-School tea party the night before school started:
First day of school
math pancakes. this was super fun. (We also did a dance party to Will.i.am's "what I am" from sesame street. It was kinda the theme-song for our year. )
the girls got school uniforms. hahaha
Read-alouds was my favorite thing about homeschool. We read:
1. My Father's Dragon
2. The Jungle Book
3. James and the Giant Peach
4. Whatever After
5. BFG
6. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
7. Sarah, Plain and Tall
8. Peter Pan
9. The Phantom Tollbooth
10. The Whipping Boy
11. Little House in the Big Woods
12. Matilda (pictured above)
13. Island of the Blue Dolphins
Some time spent outside
this is someone's yard!!
and their pig
My other favorite thing about homeschool was the slow mornings and more time with siblings.
Maryanne's paint-by-number project
Lucy making mini donuts from a kit we brought home from Japan. And Luke learning to embroider.
Acting out the unification of the upper and lower kingdoms of egypt.
Myth of Osiris
Learning about Jackson Pollock
Luke's was called "Fury"
Dragon Craft from Disney magazine
We put this puzzle together a lot
Lucy was working hard on her geography. She loved to play Stack the States on my phone and also practiced writing them on the blank map in the kitchen.
Tuesday Co-op
(we only did this one the first semester.... which looking back might have been a mistake. This is really where the kids made the best friends. Especially Luke. I just couldn't teach at both co-ops and try to move etc. that last semester. But this one was really fun.)
Freddy was in "Tots"
Maryanne was in Adventurers and she had: Handwriting without Tears, Storybook Adventures and Food and Nutrition
Lucy was in Creators for the first half and Voyagers for the second half (because she made friends in the older class and it was a better fit for her). So her classes were: A Bug's Life, Globetrotting and Sign Language (Voyagers)
| Globetrotters Mexican fiesta |
| voyagers |
Best friend:
| Gentry Horner |
Luke was in Philosophers and took: Current Events (very fitting since it was during the election), Crazy Chemistry and So you Think you can Think.
Current Events
|
| So you think you can think |
| Luke and his two best friends - Graham Horner and Daxton Owens |
| and cute Sophia whose mom told me she had a crush on Luke :) |
| a very serious george washington ready for the wax museum |
| presidents day - these girls learned about the voting system with ballots and a voting booth |
Entrepreneur Fair / Christmas Party
| They made and sold comics. |
Field Trip to Backermann's Country Store
(a Mennonite bakery& farm) It was really cool.
One thing we loved about Tuesday Co-op was that when classes were over - we went to Ellendale park to spend the rest of the afternoon. It always made me happy to watch my kids play for hours and get nice and dirty.
Thursday Co-op (LLA)
| Emery and Aspen Waite |
| Holland Monsen |
| winner and loser |
George Washington Fancy Manners Meal
Susan B. Anthony --- making bread ... Yeast Science!
Susan B. Anthony ---- Everything about cotton (guest: Charlotte Steward with cotton plants and a spinning wheel!)
This was for John Muir. I think this was Luke's favorite. He got really into glaciers.
| Luke's glacier project |
Ok - I am super super tired from doing this crazy, long blog and so I am going to stop here. I will do 2nd semester another time and wrap up the year. I'm so glad I'm documenting all this. Not sure if anyone else will be but at least it's getting done!
G


4 comments:
I for one am so glad you're documenting this!! I didn't know about tons of these experiences and they were really neat. What an adventure that was! One your kids will remember and this post will be looked back on many times!
I loved it! Great job on homeschooling! I think it is a great thing and your kids looked like they loved it!
I saw it and read it. I’m glad it was a good year for you. I think you described my perception of homeschool (and my life) well. Not many days turn out how I think they should go and that’s ok.
You guys did a year of homeschool? How did I miss that?
Post a Comment