We woke up early before Masaru had to go to work. And this picture might just be my favorite picture of my whole trip to Japan. I reverently snuck it during our scripture study. :) It's beautiful.
It's a very joyful thing for me to see familiar things around their home like a primary children's songbook, Ensigns, Friends and lesson manuals but just in Japanese instead of English. To think that my dear friend who lives on the other side of the world is just like me - she is trying to raise her family in the gospel and be a good mom. And do her calling and have scripture study and family prayer. And to think that there are a hundred thousand other Japanese saints doing the same thing. And in countries all over the world. The same scriptures, the same doctrine, the same truth. It's a wondrous thing. I loved seeing a glimpse of this.
Getting ready
I didn't get my two hours to do my makeup but I had fun watching Mie get her kids ready for school. Tasuku in his little uniform in front of their house.
Shiki got to ditch school and come with us to hike the beautiful Mt. Takao!
Walking up a river. An elderly man took us up this way.
I would say that 80% of the people out hiking Mt. Takao were elderly people...with their hats and walking sticks. I love it. And every. SINGLE. person you passed greeted you cheerfully. The man who took us up this river said "konnichiwa" when he saw us and when Joey said it back, the man enthusiastically congratulated him on his amazing Japanese (in Japanese). Such a encouraging people.
Here's the top of Mt. Takao where you are supposedly supposed to be able to get a peek of Mt Fuji. (our 3rd out of 4 failed attempts)
top of the mountain ice cream selfies
And I liked the Takao Taiyaki (face pancakes with stuff inside like sweet bean paste or custard)
We rode the train back with Mie and Shiki and soaked up our last minutes together.
And then said good-bye. Hope it's not another 15 years before we see each other again. <3 br="">3>
We rode the train back to meet up with our traveling homies at Sensoji (Asakusa Temple). This place was insane with people. It was probably the most touristy place we visited in Tokyo. The road leading up to it was lined with tourist shops and you could hardly move. The temple was huge and awesome. This was the oldest temple in Tokyo - 645 AD but this is the reconstructed temple built after WWII.
It was a fateful day at Sensoji. Victoria and I paid 100 yen each to get our fortunes. All fortunes are not created equally...
Victoria actually did have a lost article (her backpack with their passports!) be found but it did take a while. So that totally came true. My favorite line in mine is "new problems AND mistakes from the past come together, making us worry too much". That's crazy bad luck. It's impossible for me to get what I want. I give up. No. 82 is a rough draw.
Fortune smiled on us however and we found this coconut drink.
That night we went to the ever mysterious Ninja Restaurant! Such a funny place. They make you wait outside for a while and then take you in small groups for "ninja training" - which is basically you walking through dark secret passageways and crouching and ducking. The food was super expensive and pretty good but you were mostly paying for the atmosphere I think. I'm sure it's mostly Americans who eat there. There was a magician who was crazy good and it was just a fun night.
Manon's card which Mike Malmborg wrote "Stay Cool" ended up in the magician's inside pocket in a sealed envelope! Witchcraft I tell you.
End of day 4. Phew!





3 comments:
Love mie, Masaru, shiki and tasuku!
That first pic really belongs in the ensign. Another great day, with the darlingest Katie ninja crouch to boot!
O my goodness, that all looks so awesome! Except for the frog patty--what?! Some days you eat the food, some days the food eats you....
Post a Comment