Saturday, February 21, 2009

The day of fourteens

*warning - mommy post*
On February 20, 2009 - Luke turned 14 months, he slept 14 hours and learned his 14th word.
Words Luke can say (I tried to put them in order of when he learned them):
  1. baby
  2. dada
  3. mama
  4. bye-bye
  5. ah-oh!
  6. bloon! (baloon)
  7. hayee! (hi)
  8. nana (banana)
  9. ba ba (bottle)
  10. bauww (ball)
  11. no
  12. baaa (bath)
  13. broom broom (car)
  14. duckemmm (ducky)

Pretty cool huh? He's neat. We like him. We also like that he slept in until 10:30 this morning. Not really sure why but we'll take it. Especially on a Saturday.

So do you want to know more about him? Ok, ok. He folds his arms for the prayer, he talks on the phone (or I should say he laughs on the phone. every time he puts it up to his ear he fake laughs - I must laugh a lot on the phone or something. Interesting to see your child immitate you and realize some of the things you do.), he signs a few things like food, please, more and baby. I think most people know that I've felt a little rejected by Luke at times because he's not a cuddly affectionate baby (he's what we call a "straight arm baby" - he'll straigh arm you as soon as look at you) but I'm happy to report that he just learned to give kisses and hugs and that makes me a very, very a happy mom. I've never wanted a clingy kid but he's been so far the opposite that it's kinda nice to know he likes me.

Other news in the Hale family's life: I started tutoring a 5 year old boy named Ethan in Japanese. He lives down the street from us. Luke and I walk over to his house every Thursday and read him books, sing songs and do conversational puppet Japanese. His family lived on a naval base in Japan and he was so young that he picked up a lot of Japanese and his parents don't want him to lose it. So that has been fun and a nice opportunity for me to brush up on my very very rusty Japanese.
Also, our dear friends the Macdonalds will be coming from New York for a very short visit next week and we get to meet their newest addition - Gabe. We have missed them. And we are planning a trip to Oklahoma to see our friends,the Richins and meet their new addtion - Mia.
Joey is doing a triathlon next Saturday. And then another one during "Memphis in May".
Yesterday he got an early bithday present - a mountain bike he had been wanting for about 5 months that his wifey finally bought for him.

ok - Luke's awake - gotta go. Sorry for the lack of posts lately. I'll try to do better.

12 comments:

victoria said...

Love the update. Chloe wasn't very cuddly for a long time - now she's always coming over for a hug and kiss. Yeah, I think they like their moms. And Luke's got some mad word skilz.

And we're so glad you're going to make it to the Ranch! Howdy!

Haylee said...

I like that he says my name (hayee for "hi")... Ok I'm just pretending it is my name, but I think it is cute!
I missed him visit teaching, but guess what? I just took Jackson to the dr and he has an EAR INFECTION! Yuck... sick babies are no fun!

kate said...

i tell you, he's a genius. and a model. i miss yukey! very cool that you get to work on your japanese too!

Jenny said...

I'm so glad about the hugs and kisses. When Andrew was too little to give affection, I bought him shirts that said loving things so I could get some affirmation from him.

Starley Family said...

Well the little neighbor boy lucked out with the best Japanese tutor and the most famous Chinese baby to boot! That's really cool Katie. Way to keep up your talents. So are the MacDonald's doing the triathlon as well???

Amber said...

Glad to hear that you are all doing well. Luke sounds like he is growing up so big. They just are more and more fun!

Clint C. said...

Hey, I never did collect on that finders fee for the teaching gig. :)

Rachel said...

I have a really good idea. Why don't you all save the trouble of traveling here and there and you, the Richins, the Macdonalds and us can all meet up in good ol NYC. What do you think? Yeah, I think you should.

Katie B. said...

Nice vocabulary. Look is such a cutie.

edith said...

Rosalie is my first baby who snuggles just for the sake of snuggling. After all these years and babies, I'm finally getting a little back!
Still, sometimes she snuggles just for the sake of wiping her nose.

The Gainors said...

he sounds like an angel. i finally got mine. not that my other kids weren't adorable and fun, but sleepers and cuddlers they were not. blessing.
way to go with the tutoring. i couldn't tutor a dog in japanese.

Robin said...

I don't really have anything relevant to say other than I love to read your blog! So whenever you decide to write, I'll be here waiting!

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed