Thursday, September 27, 2012

High School friends

In August, my best friend from high school came to visit.  And I know I'm a nerd, but I loved high school...so much.  I remember crying at graduation and even afterwards - driving by Weber High - I would sing our school anthem and cry.  I know, don't make fun of me.  But really, when you think about it, I got to show up every day for school and hang out with all the best people of my life so I think I was right to love it so much.  Those people just clicked with me.  I married one of them.   Joey's sister married another one so he is now my brother-in-law.  And I stay in touch with 5 or 6 other dear ones.  Well, I'm not very good about that but when I do see them - it's just like old times.

This particular friend has been featured in a few other posts like this one and this one.  She's Trisha.  And I love her.  She and her three kids came to visit for a week.  We read old journals and silly (I mean artistic) poems we wrote, looked at pictures, went on barefoot walks at midnight and even prank called Spencer Burton.  Which ended up not being a prank call but just Spencer being funny and us laughing at his jokes.  And the whole time she was here I did not get a single picture of her.  But here is a really pretty one from high school that I found.


 Our kids had a blast together






oh wait, there IS a picture of trish... the little smiling face peeking out



Her kids are so adorable, polite, talented and speak Chinese.  I know. I am so impressed by Trisha as a mom. I've never seen anyone just truly enjoy being a mom as much as Trisha.  It made me want to remember the high school Katie and be better at laughing at my kids.  That's right laughing AT them.  It's what all the good moms do.  But truly - she is pretty amazing. 

Trish and I in our chamber choir dresses with our high school administrators and our beloved principal.  I wish I had a picture of the time that we switched dresses for a concert so Trisha's dress was dragging on the floor and mine was to my knees (I'm about 5 inches taller than her).  We thought we were so funny but our choir director didn't think so. 



My best friends in high school (clockwise starting with me): Katie, Stacy, Hailey, Trish

And it gets even better.  In June I got to see Stacy.  STACY.   I haven't seen her for at least 5 years and she is soooo funny and just the same.  Trisha and I just happened to be in Utah at the same time and Stacy invited us to dinner.  We laughed so hard our cheeks ached.  It was tremendously fun. 



Back in the day, Stacy and I decided to cut each other's hair to try to be cuter so we could get asked to prom.  She had pretty long hair and I just had medium length.  But here is our beautiful result.  Like we just stepped out of a salon.  I think we look like little kids.  Maybe cause we just woke up.


But it totally worked.  She went to prom with Nick (her husband now) and I went with Nick's best friend TJ. Poor TJ.  He was this cool kid (Prom King no less) and instead of being pretty for prom - I went with the more... funny approach.  I wonder now what he thought when he I opened the door and saw my hair done in swirly little buns all over my head and sparkly doc martins and my aunt's 2,000 dollar (yet hideous) dress.  Stacy and I were laughing so hard about that night - how her mom saw me and said "Well, I think Katie will want to go and finish getting ready."


Stacy and Katie forever

And THEN - I got to see Robspierre ... (featured here and here)...who I went to high school with but I really fell in love with her in college.  Presenting "Miss Priss" in our college days. 


Yeah, pretty sultry huh?  Now, I called her miss priss because I used to kinda gross her out sometimes.  I mean what a prude right?  But turns out later now that she tells me that I did stuff like put cereal in my macncheese bowl without rinsing it out first so little chunks of cheese would be floating in my milk.  That is pretty gross.


Miss Priss happened to be passing through Memphis on her way to Alabama helping her brother move and we had a few minutes to catch up.  And she got to meet Maryannie.
 


(And pssst --- Hailey ---- I miss you.)

And since my real best friend and crush in high school was Joey Hale - we'd better include him in this high school post.  Some bonus dance pictures.

Joey and Stacy ---


Joey and Trisha (and me and TJ and Stacy and Nick... btw people always thought Stacy had special needs when seeing this picture... oh and in the couple picture there was a swing for the girl to sit in and when I sat in it, the whole set came down! .... and those are our baby pictures on the shirts we made....




Joey and Katie

 
Oh this picture. Joey looks younger NOW than in this picture. :)

Speaking of young Joey -  I just found this picture. 



Ok, ok - I'm done reminiscing.  Thanks.  Stay cute and cool.  Have a fun summer.  Call me.

10 comments:

Clint C. said...

I think I will call you. I miss you tons and I luv ya!

kate said...

what a great post! i was smiling so big the whole time i was reading it! i feel like we were so lucky growing up where we did with so many great great people to be friends with. really some of the best people in the world. and wow, the hug comment by luke is so perfectly lukeish. he is so loving about his boyishly rough affection. it made me happy to see him having the best time with the kids at our house yesterday.

edith said...

How fun to see a high school retrospective! You guys were so funny. And I love the Prom look.
Luke--tough love advocate of the future. So funny!

Josie said...

Oh what fun! This post cracked me up! You don't realize how much styles have changed, until you see those choir dresses! You were always so funny AND so cool! You still are so funny and definitely still cool.

victoria said...

That last pic of Joey is totally Lucy. Our chamber quire dresses were almost identical to yours. You don't think that $2000 dress was pretty? You guys are and always have been fun fun fun.

Elder Dad & Sister Mom said...

So glad you're back!

Robin said...

Oh my mercy...the Slimmons!! We sure had some great times, great times indeed. When Evan saw the pic of me with a mud mask on he asked, "Was that at 10:30 at night?" And at first I replied, "Of course! What do you mean??" And then 0.4 seconds later I said, "Well...there's a pretty good chance that it was 10:30 in the morning."

J to the oey said...

Everyone looks so young, especially that last one of Joey.

Brenley said...

This is Spencer. What a really fun read. My cheeks hurt from grinning as I read and looked at those pics. I vividly remember some of those pictures from high school..I think I even took the first one of trisha on my mission to help me stay focused and not get distracted by women.... It's strange, I remember all of us being so much cooler that the pictures portray. Guess the pictures must have been altered. Katie, thanks for guiding me to this post.

Savanna said...

Way to prank call Mr. Burton. He probably talked back to you in a raspy voice pretending to be Frank Burtoni or something. So glad I got to be the little sister and hang out with all of you and laugh at all of your jokes -- oh wait, I still do that!

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed