February 6th, 7th & 8th, 2017
In 2nd grade Luke read the first 4 books of Harry Potter and he was swept away like many other 7 and 8 year olds. He was Harry Potter for Halloween and did spell duels with Jane all the time. We wished he would have been old enough to enjoy/remember Harry Potter world when we went 4 years ago but he was only 5. So we decided that while we live in driving distance to Orlando - we'd better take advantage of that and take Luke to Harry Potter World.
Getting There
The Carters
2//4 - 2/5: We drove 6 hours and stopped in Atlanta to see our good friends from our Maryland days - the Carters. Bryce is also a bishop and a dentist - so they had a lot to talk about. We slept in their palace of a home and played in their party basement rec room and stayed up late talking. Our kids loved their kids - Luke and their boys played "spy" with all their security cameras and the girls played princesses. In fact - after we had gotten home from the trip I was sick and said melodramatically to Luke "If I die never forget me. And tell dad he can get remarried because I want you to have a mom." He said "If he remarries I want him to marry the Carters' mom. She's so nice and then Jackson can be my brother!" So yeah - they like them.
Maryanne and Melanie. Luke and Garrett.
The Hitchhikers
The next morning we drove to Orlando. As we got close we explained to our kids what a hitchhiker was. We said if we happened to see some hitchhikers that looked nice then we'd pick them up. So they started looking out their windows for hitchhikers. Then we pulled up to the Orlando Airport and we saw some REALLY nice looking folks walking along thumbing a ride. We totes pick them up - and the kids flipped out. It was all pretty exciting. Luke kept saying "Grandma!??! and Grandpa!!??" And then it's like the idea just occurred to them and they said "Oh, could we please invite them to Universal with us!!?? And even the Cruise!??" Sure, why not? Such a fun moment.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley
We thought we'd better follow the Harry Potter way and start at Diagon Alley, stop in at Gringott's Bank to get some money and then buy Luke "school supplies". Then, of course go to King Cross Station and ride the Hogwarts Express to Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. I don't know if it's because we got there right when it opened or if it's because Diagon Alley is a new part of the park - but it was crowded and Olivander's wand shop? - fuhgeddaboutit. It was insane! I worried this was how it was going to be the whole time and I'm glad I was wrong. After we left here that first morning - we walked on every ride and things weren't as crowded.
Fire-breathing dragon on the top of Gringotts
Our first ride of the day - Gringotts bank! Maryanne, Luke, Dad and Grandpa went on it first and it scared Maryanne to death. In an attempt to help things not seem so real, Joey tried to take her 3-D glasses off and it made it worse. She was screaming "Noooo! Don't take of my safety goggles!!"
We just couldn't face the line at Olivanders so we bought Luke's wand at Wands by Gregorovitch. He picked Ron Weasley's wand.
So - these wands are amazing. I had no idea. It's an interactive wand and there are places ALL over the park with things you can do with your magic wand. You really have to concentrate and wave the wand just so for it to work. (they have little diagrams on the ground that show you spell pattern) This was Luke's favorite thing. Right here he's trying to get a fountain to turn on.
And here he's pointed at a suit of armor through a doorway - and just got it to come to life.
While Luke and Lucy worked on perfecting their magic - we chillaxed and ordered some Frozen Butter Beer. Look how cute these guys are with their butter beer cream mustaches. I'm pretty sure I made them do that.
Hogwarts Express
Next was Kings Cross Station to platform 9 3/4. Joey's walking through the brick wall - soooo magic.
The station was just cool looking
About to board Hogwarts Express
This. was. amazing! Everything looked antique like you are on a hundred year old train car. It was so cozy and fun in there. On our ride we passed George and Fred on brooms, waved to Hagrid, saw the flying car, etc. We heard Ron, Hermione and Harry's voices as they were walking through the train and Ron put his face up to our compartment and he said "oh this one's occupied". Then, the death eaters came on the train. Maryanne didn't like that - I said "Don't worry, it's not real." She said, "but how can you know that?! How are you sure!?"
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade
We made it to Hogsmeade! This place just takes my breath away. It's so scenic and magical.
First stop was Honeydukes where we purchased a Fizzing Whizbees, Every Flavor Beans and a Chocolate Frog.
Gilderoy Lockhart!!!???? Are you kidding me? Nooooo!
We got to go on all the rides multiple times - Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey was a definite favorite - the Hogwarts castle is sooo cool. We took the girls through it without going on the ride just so they could see it all. And the girls rode the Flight of the Hippogriff and Luke, Joey and I rode The Dragon Challenge! - oh I love it. Just hanging and soaring through the sky. We rode it 3 times. I like the Hogsmeade side of Harry Potter World the best I think. It was less crowded and since it was more calm it just made it more whimsical. I loved how all the windows had a golden glow in the evening. OH man, I love this place! And the company was pretty great too.

3 comments:
I kept shivering at the pictures of you all in short sleeves in front of the snow-covered roofs of Hogsmeade. It's hard to believe it's warm somewhere in the world.
What awesome pictures and what an awesome picture you painted with your discriptions! Fun, fun, fun!
My younger kids will be so jealous.
I am jealous! I am SO stinking jealous! What a great idea to have your parents pretend to be hitchhikers. I might have to steal that if I can convince my parents to join us. We want to go to Harry Potter World in a year or two. Oh man, it looks like you had an awesome time.
I want to go too!
Post a Comment