Tuesday, November 24, 2015

St. George

The first weekend of October I headed to St. George for a girls' weekend and to support my friends who were running the St. George Marathon.  I got to stay with one of my best friends, Sheri, and see her new St. George life so that was really fun.

Sheri, Gianetta, me and Amanda



me and my dorky signs cheering everyone on in the marathon. 
  
I really liked hanging with these boys for the weekend.  We played a lot of tag in the backyard, we talked Ningago and wrestled.  It was nice to know that I still like other people's kids.  (you know how fun you are with kids before you have your own?  what is that all about?)   Something about being free of responsibility that makes me fun again I guess.
These were their cool signs.

And sweet Elsie... who likes to play hard-to-get.  Oh, how much do you love those eyes?
And then marathoners taking Graham up on his free high fives.

I was actually at this spot (mile 23) for about 4 hours.  I saw Giannetta first and ran with her for a while.  Then I randomly saw my friend from high school Matthew Lee!!  I ran with him for a while and we caught up on life.
   I ran with Devin and Monica (more about them later) and then I waited for the real reason I came... my dear, dear friend Amanda.  She is so amazing.  
 
 When we talked about this marathon - she just jumped on it without even ever running another race.  Her mantra was from her 4 year old's karate teacher "I can do it, yes I can".
Well, without much training - here she came across the 23 mile marker.  When I saw her she was full on running because they were about to do the cut-off and she had about 30 seconds to cross that 23 mile marker to be able to finish.  
I saw her and she started sobbing.  We hugged and then I ran/walked the last 3.2 miles with her.  I was so incredibly proud of her when she crossed the finish line.  So that was really cool.  Good job Amanda!!! 
At the finish

And one of the reasons I was so excited to go to St. George was so see my long lost mission friends Devin and Monica.  And they did not disappoint.  (they are the best human beings!)  It was a just a bonus that they happen to be running in the marathon.  So, of course I ran with them for a little bit. 



And I got to hang out in the their lovely home with their adorable children.  What a great family.



And it was just like old times 
 I laughed so hard one night as they reminded me of all the really dorky and embarrassing things I did on my mission.  So.... that's always fun.  But I know they love their little sumile chan.    And really, they always make me laugh so hard I want to die.

Oh and I should say that we also stayed up analyzing our kids and each other kids and we talked about their son Jake.  They were telling me that for the first 2 years of his life he hated people.  He just screamed when anyone was around that wasn't their immediate family.  And he is just now tolerating people and that's about it.

So when Jake came over and snuggled with me while we were watching conference the next day, Devin snapped a picture to capture this momentous event.    but oh that was only the beginning....

Jake and I developed a special bond and this was later that afternoon. 

 Oh the love.  Thanks for making me feel special Jake.

And even though she wouldn't let me take a picture with her - I also visited my Aunt Verla and Uncle Bill.  They live in a movie star home with breathtaking views of St. George.  It was fun to chat with them but way too short!  But we were lucky to even overlap.  (they had just gotten home when my trip was over)

Good times.  A huge thank you to Sheri for hosting 6 people in her home while she was 8 1/2 months pregnant.  She was a real trooper.  I loved seeing her new house being built and can't wait to see her again with a new house and now a new baby!!

And that was St. George.



3 comments:

Clint C. said...

Katie you are such a good cheerleader people import you from across the country just to cheer them on! What a wonderful light you carry with you. We are all moths to your flame. Flap, flap! I love you! Love how you made the most of all those reunions.

Jenny said...

Hey, you're wearing that dress. Yay! You have lots of friends all over the world.

Alicia said...

Very neat. I LOVED seeing all the pictures.

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed