Tuesday, February 23, 2010

the dynamic duo



I so admire my parents' energy, industry and productivity - which was illustrated nicely in their most recent trip to Memphis. They are so driven and have some serious work ethic. And I got to admire all this as I sat in a cushy rocking chair in a bit of a sleep deprived haze and just watched them in action for a week. My mom cleaned, did laundry, got groceries and cooked all the meals. My dad insulated, floored and framed our unfinished bonus room. (He said he wouldn't come unless we provided a project - so we graciously complied)





Luke loved this visit. When we dropped them off at the airport he cried all the way home "I want GRANDPA!" The next morning when he woke up he came out of his room and looked around "Grandma? Grandmaaaa." They are definitely missed.



Grandpa taught Luke how to use some tools and Luke taught grandpa a new song. "BOB THE BUILDER - can we fix it? - BOB THE BUILDER - yes we can!" I caught my dad singing it during the week on his own. It IS pretty catchy.



The only complaint we had is that we did have somewhat of a butternut squash fiasco. My mom was making soup and put the squash in the blender and let's just say that weeks later we are still finding butternut squash in the far corners of our kitchen. I'm not sure what happened. I was in the other room and I hear my mom laughing hysterically and come out to see her and the entire room spattered in bright orange squash. We admired her wet orange hair that night during dinner. Then, later she ran to grab something out of the fridge and spilled a whole container of blueberries. Joey leaned over to me and said in his snobbiest voice, "my, it's hard to find good help these days."
good times. good times. thanks for coming you guys and we miss you!!

12 comments:

Tristina said...

Your parents are awesome :-) I am so happy you had a good visit.

So, did you know that Luke and Caelan have like all the same clothes? Cee has the world revolves around me shirt and he also has the short sleeve button up shirt in the adorable valentine's day picture that you sent. We have great taste, me and you.

Christie said...

Cool when is your dad coming up to clarksville. It's only 3 hours away you know!! I could get him to work really fast! :-) Yeah, hot stuff and blenders don't mix... you only have to do it once to learn that lesson.... I did it w/ sweet potatoes. I now use and immersion blender when making soup. :-)

Rachel said...

Your parents sound A LOT like Jim's. They aren't happy unless they are busy helping. How nice for you! I loved your update and pics in the mail btw. Thank you! You have such a cute and fun fam. And I sincerely wish I had Joey commentary on our daily happenings...

shauna said...

that's smart to have a project for your dad. My dad gets so restless and bored that it drives me crazy. We told him not to come this time but if we had a project for him to work on that would have been a good solution.

Burnhams said...

that is so awesome!!! how fun to have visitors! we got your v-day/ baby announcements the other day. so cute! we miss you guys.

kate said...

wow, they are the best! bob the builder. . . heh heh.

Josie said...

How great! I totally agree, your parents are awesome! And what cute grandparents they make! Bob the Builder, love it, and you're right it is pretty catchy!

victoria said...

They are such good ones, those guys. How nice that they worked so hard for you. It made happy to picture you lounging in your rocker. Joey cracks me up. I imagine that he spends his time thinking up funny things to say if a certain situation were to arise - and luckily, your mom dropped the blueberries - And he's like, "yes! I get to say that funny thing I've been practicing in my head!" And out it comes. That must be how it happens, don't you think? I think so.

Jenny said...

It IS hard to find good help these days!!

P.S. Victoria and I were out to dinner with friends the other night and she was telling everyone about this and laughing so hard she was crying.

Clint C. said...

You're parents are so awesome. We are so glad we get to hang out with them when they come. They tell the most amazing stories. They have really been around this world!

edith said...

I love that your dad does projects. He's done a few for us, and we wouldn't have it any other way. !

Oooh, look! A kopyrat! (wv)

Ye Stewart Clan said...

I love you guys. And I love your blogs posts. And I want to see the finished product! Can you post a picture of your bonus room?

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed