Monday, January 18, 2016

Luke's Baptism


January 9th, 2016 

Joey: Today Luke was baptized and confirmed.  Katie and I were both surprised and pleased at how excited Luke was and how seriously he took it.  All 4 grandparents were in town.  Luke kept saying things like "I can't believe I'm really getting baptized" and "what if this is just a dream!"  I don't remember him being this excited about anything ever.  We practiced the baptism before and I told Luke I was going to hold him down for a moment to let him think about his baptism a little.  When I brought him back up, he stood there frozen for a moment like he was trying to take it all in.  My favorite part of the program was when Luke and Maryanne and the cousins sang Miracle.  They all sang their solos so sweetly.  I was so proud of Luke today.  He has such a sweet, tender and solemn spirit. 

Katie:  It was such a wonderful and special day!  I was surprised how very special it was - like our wedding day or a birth of a child almost.  It was so perfect - just everything.  Luke's excitement to get baptized was the best for sure.  After he got baptized I went in to help him get changed and he had the happiest face - it was just shining!  He kept saying "I'm baptized!!!! I'm really baptized!  Can you believe it!?  Are you so proud of me mom?"   He was happy all day and when he went to bed that night he said "Oh, I wish I could do this whole day again when I wake up.  I wish I could get baptized again"  He was so sweet....I feel so tender and so SO much love for my Luke.  I love him more than I can say!  I'm excited to see him grow up and make his way through life with the help of the covenants he made today and the guidance of the Holy Ghost..... We spent the rest of the day here at our house all enjoying each other.  What a happy day!

Luke:  Today I just got baptized.  We had cheesecake and cookies and we played in the gym too.  P.S. the water was boiling hot. 
(the water really was too hot and they had to run cold water in for a while to cool it off enough for him to get in)

[And thank you to Kate for taking these wonderful pictures!!]







Scriptures from G&G Songer


And a scripture case from Africa from G&G Hale 


A baptism towel from Aunt Kate (the Primary)


The Program.  

Grandpa Songer talked about Baptism.  He talked about Scott Layton being excited to see Heavenly Father and ask Him what He wanted him to do.  He talked about the path and how this was the beginning of Luke's journey.  And one thing he loved about school teaching was every year he had a new class and a chance to change anything he didn't like about how he was teaching.  And that the sacrament is like that.  You get to start over every week.  
Grandma Hale talked about the Holy Ghost.  She talked about her dad being away and how she desperately wanted him to be home in time to baptize her.  She prayed and prayed for months and he got home just in time to baptize her in March.  She learned that God loved her and listened and cared.  She knows He loves Luke.  She said his baptism wasn't over yet.  He had to get baptized by fire.  And that the Holy Ghost sometimes feels like a warm fire inside us.  And helps us feel God's love.  She gave Luke advice that the best talent that he could gain on the earth was to learn to listen to the Holy Ghost.  She told him if he did that he was in for a great adventure. 


 My mom did this really neat thing - she had everyone write notes to Luke with words of encouragement and their testimonies while they were waiting for Luke to get dressed.  She even had all the Utah aunts, uncle and cousins write some before she left and brought them with her.  I am going to put them all in a book for Luke - they will be such a treasure.

Grandpa Hale captured the last half of the song they sang at the baptism and I'm so glad he did!   We had an impromptu singer, Luke's good friend Jake, join us at the last minute.  And also at the last minute Lucy decided not to sing.   Jane and Emme sang solos in the first verse and the rest of the kids do solos in the second verse.  The very end of the song is cut off but it was just Luke singing "the miracle that rescues you and me"  in the sweetest voice which really made me cry.  This is the second verse of the song Miracle ...

Miracle from katiehale on Vimeo.

It rained all day that day - just poured down in sheets of rain.  Quite fitting I think.  The closing song was about rain making the earth clean called "When I Am Baptized" and I felt the spirit tug at my heart when I sang "I want to be the best I can..."  I do, oh I do.  Now even more so for Luke.  I hope I can.

4 comments:

Patricia said...

Way to go, Grandpa Hale, for recording part of that song. I loved hearing it again. That was the sweetest day! So glad we could be there!!

kate said...

It was SUCH a special day! The program was wonderful and Luke's sweet spirit was just glowing! His solo was perfect and made me cry, and Maryanne's little wave in the song...soooo darling! It was just a day full of the spirit and made me want to be better, too! Also, you are the prettiest mom of a baptized kid ever.

Mike McBorg said...

Sounds wonderful. The song was very touching. We love that song. It still hasn't made its way to our primary.

olderockhouse said...

Loved the whole Grand parents Post and Luke's baptism. It was such a special day I can tell! I hope you got our testimonies for his book. I emailed them to Joey. I really loved that song! I have never heard it or heard of it. Who wrote that and is it going in the Primary book? Loved the day through your post! Love your family! xoxo

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed