Thursday, April 12, 2012
Failing at normalcy
Tuesday was a relaxing morning (meaning lazy) - with all 3 of my kids in my bed with me watching cartoons. We ate breakfast hours after we woke up and were all still in our pajamas when my friend called with an invitation to an impromptu morning play date. I thought it sounded SO fun and really wanted (and needed) to get out of the house. So, I told her it would take us a while to get ready but asked if we could just come later -- like in an hour or so (thinking I was pretty smart to be realistic and give myself "plenty of time"). Operation: "get out of the house" - start time: 9:30 am. Determined to be fast, I had strapped a fussy Maryanne to me in a Snugly as I changed Lucy's diaper one handed and got both the kids dressed. I fed Maryanne (which took HALF of that hour) and put her in her car seat. I was almost to my hour mark but decided since I was covered in dry spit up should probably jump in the shower real quick. When I got out and was getting dressed I heard a huge explosion of Maryanne filling her diaper - from the other room. I thought - wo, that must have been why she was so fussy. I continued dressing and then heard it again. And again! I ran over to her car seat to pull her out and the car seat was full of the beautiful yellow liquid. Aahhhh! So, I carry my dripping baby to her changing table and get a large burp cloth and lay it down to change her. After a million wipes and a sponge bath - she is all clean and in a new outfit and the cloth was carefully rolled up and set aside. Well, apparently during her sponge bath (unbeknownst to me) she had wet all over the changing table cover. So, I had laid her down on the table and when I picked her up - her whole back was soaked. Aahhhhh! Ok, so I changed her again. I started to feel like this was getting funny. But the clock kept on ticking and I was wondering if I was going to make it. I changed her into another dry outfit and laid her on the bed. Jokingly I said out loud - "just a minute Maryanne - don't spit up" and just as I said it - she spit up a ton all over her new dry clothes! Seriously?!! I changed her yet AGAIN and laid her on our bed while I ran to get her car seat (that I had scrubbed out and dried) and when I get back I see she has thrown up all over our bed. Really??!! This is happening??!! I grab the first cloth I see and start cleaning up the mess when I realize I had grabbed the cloth I changed her on -- and was actually smearing yellow poo on to our bed!!! oh wow. I am really dumb. But then I thought I should probably just laugh at my dumbness -- and my predicament. Yeah, that seemed like the right thing to do. I looked at the clock and it was 11:30. The universe had spoken. I was supposed to stay home, clean up the terrible terrible mess that was around me and maybe just make some cookies and play video games with Luke until I felt better. Operation "get out of the house" was going to have to be executed on another, more awesome, less poopy day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Every story has a beginning...
Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.
happy kids
12 comments:
That sounds like a bad dream. I have those dreams all the time where I spend a whole day trying to get dressed and I never make it as hard as I try. It's so bad when it's actually real life. Clint says, Good thing you're like Ann Romney, and you've never worked a day in your life.
oh my!!! so much poopenbarf! that is really unreal. maryanne must have known all along you'd be happier in your jammies playing video games. shame on you for making her work so hard in order to help you realize that. hee hee! can't wait to meet her, i like her personality already.
Oh, I so understand. Much love, GrandmaHale
Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry. For the situation, yes, but mostly because I laughed really hard when I read this! You are my favorite person in the world and I will forever think you are Wonder Woman, for this reason and many, many others.
Hah! So, no one's sick or anything? Just happy projectile bodily fluid champs? Definitely a sign to stay home. Get back in bed. After you clean it up, though.
We are starting to talk about a road trip to Memphis, here. Casey's got time off that we need to burn.
That was awesome. We've had some good projectile spit-up moments here, and a few episodes of Ethan filling his diaper the minute we change it, but nothing compared to that. You win!
Ahh so funny from 1000 miles away! Laughed so hard at your descriptions! You poor dear!
Oh man! I SO know how that goes! This totally made me laugh, thanks for sharing!
I can't believe you were trying to go out. I just had my twins by c-section 3 weeks ago and we only leave the house if we have a doctor's appointment, (which is about 3 times a week). I can't imagine trying to get 3 kids together and out the door, while still recovering from surgery. You really are amazing Katie Hale:)
Oh, I love it! Very funny and oh, how I can relate. Way to let your wishes be known, Maryanne.
LOL! Loved it! It is easy to laugh, when you aren't in the middle of it. Babies = lots of bodily fluids!
you're so funny, of course you laughed. I would have swore. =) At least they are cute, right? Sort of makes it worth it. Hey I said sort of.
Post a Comment