Saturday, March 10, 2012

I like these guys




Oh man, I am sure ready to have a baby.  But my sister gave me good advice (always so logical) to enjoy my 2 kids and getting stuff done without a newborn and so that is what I'm trying to do.  I have spent a few lovely slow paced days with Luke and Lucy and am really enjoying them.  One morning they spent a couple hours taking care of a mosquito hawk they found on the carpet.  Giving him candy corn bits for nourishment, a nice tissue to keep him cozy and a few doses of medicine (water) from a syringe.  Needless to say, the little guy didn't make it, but I would like to thank him for keeping them so occupied.  They are really getting good at playing together -- just in time too.


Luke has been showing off his smarts and poor kid has to have lots of patience with his mom who just can't answer all his questions.  The other day on the way home from the museum he asked me so many questions - it was exhausting.   Why do we have a uvula?  Does it tell us when we are thirsty? Where do all these telephone lines go?  Where does wind come from?  Does our tongue have bones or just muscles?  He's very interested in the baby coming and likes to hear about the umbilical cord and what it does and how it gets cut.  One day he asked me how we talk.  I didn't answer right away and he decided to tell me.  "We have a box right here and then strings that air come through to make our voices have noise and that is how we talk."  Wo!  I couldn't have explained it that well.  (Turns out he got that explanation from his smart dad)
He is starting to be quite the affectionate boy.  Something we did not expect from him from his first 2 years of life.  But he is constantly telling both Joey and me how much he loves us.  And giving us hugs and kisses all day.  To the point that I have to limit them or we would do nothing else.  This morning after Joey left, he sighed and said "I just love Daddy.  He is my hero."   He is a very doting older brother and many times throughout the day says "I love you Lucy!  You are so cute!"  A few days ago Lucy was wearing a sparkly pink getup when Luke saw her he said, "Oh! Lucy looks like a princess!  I am going to marry her!"   And the very few times I've had to reprimand Lucy (she doesn't need much), it effected Luke more than Lucy.  He said, "Mom, please never ever get Lucy in trouble again."  He still loves Star Wars and refers to himself as Luke Skywalker most days.  And Lucy is his princess Leia.


Lucy is a little charmer.  She really seems to pick up on humor and loves to be "funny".  With her facial expressions, her dancing, her comedic timing - anything to make us laugh.  She is the most social of our family and loves visitors and to go, go, go.  Luke usually tries to get us to stay home but Lucy wants to go - anywhere.  She is quick to say "sayee" (sorry) - even if it's for other people.  If I get after Luke, she tells him sorry.  And if Luke does something wrong, she apologizes for him.  Seems like she's after the role of peacemaker.  Her favorite movie is Cinderella - which I have to say I really enjoy too.  No scary bad guys and a nice short movie.  My favorite thing she has been doing is saying "I yuv you sooo much".  She really emphasizes the "so much" and it's the cutest thing.
a lucy trick
The other day Luke and I were laying down and I said, "Lucy, will you sing us a lullaby?"  She went and found her microphone and came back and actually sang the lullaby tune (which I didn't know she knew) in her little scratchy Lucy voice.  "Lullaby, Lullaby, Lullaby Luke and mommy."   She is a very clean girl and is so good at helping me pick up things from the floor (since I can't really bend over right now).  I ask both Luke and Lucy to help and it's amazing how well she does following directions.  She's eager to please and loves to do exactly what I say and then runs back and says "I did it!  I did it mommy!"  Luke takes more prodding and I usually have to give the directions 3 times before he responds.  He sure likes to be independent and think for himself.  Lucy even corrects me if I put something away in the wrong place.

So, these are my kids.  In a week or so we should have a new addition.  They all come with such different personalities and strengths - it will be fun to see who this little spirit is.  I'm really excited to meet him or her.  The anticipation is killing me but I need to just settle down and let things happen when they happen.

because every huge belly deserves a picture

6 comments:

Jenny said...

This is one of my favorite posts ever. I feel like I really got to know the fun personalities of your cute kids. I loved all these stories. How smart of you to record this before your newborn confiscates all your brain cells through sleep deprivation.

Tristina said...

OK. This made me miss you guys so much!! I think we HAVE to come visit when the new baby is a little older. And you are so cute preggo. What a perfect baby bump!!!

Clint C. said...

That is NOT a huge belly. I can't believe on your third baby you are still tiny. After my 3rd baby (Cole) the bishop said, "Oh, I didn't know you were a small person." I really love those two. I feel deprived to have missed so much. They are gems, both.

Lisa said...

Can't wait for the big day (but probably not as much as you)! You look so cute. Can I hire Emily to come to my house??

olderockhouse said...

yay! another cute songer hale baby! Great insights into the lives of lukes and lulus. Can't wait to see the new little bundle of luvvy. I love the birthday blog and Emily is amazing! I loved what she did and that she got to hang out and help so much!

Jana said...

Oh, I miss you! (And I am extremely jealous of your organized house, as I sit here staring at my mess of a desk.) We made your butternut squash soup last night, for the zillionth time, and I thought about you both and how much I like you.

AND I'M SO HAPPY YOU ARE HAVING A SURPRISE! HOW FUUUUUN!

Every story has a beginning...

Joey and Katie first met in Mr. Hawkes 3rd grade class at Valley Elementary. They became good friends in Jr. High and best friends in High School. Katie wrote to Joey on his mission in Tiajuana and Joey wrote to Katie later on her mission in Tokyo. Years later at the ripe old age of 25, these best friends finally fell in love... or maybe just realized they were already in love. They got married on January 22, 2004.

happy kids

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed