Two years ago we became parents when we welcomed tiny baby Luke into the world. He's now 30 pounds (75%) and 36.5 inches tall (95%) and knows more than his mom about trains, trucks and tractors. Luke is full of energy, curiosity and independence and loves to keep us humble regarding our parenting skills. He loves toys. I mean, most kids do but he really LOVES toys. When we leave a house of friends or family and tell him to say "bye-bye" he always says "bye-bye train!" or whichever toy he liked the best at their house. It's not really about the people yet. People are really just obstacles to toys. He likes us ok, but if it is a choice between us and toys - he picks toys every time.
He's been REALLY into Thomas the Train. I think he could say Thomas since he was about 15 months old. We don't know how he got into it since we didn't have anything Thomas except one book. We finally bought him a few Thomas movies (which I think are SO boring) and he just loves them. When he started pretending all his other toys were Thomas the Train, trying to link cars together and making choo choo noises - we decided it was time to buy him an actual train set for his birthday. Now, his life revolves around Thomas and Victor. The day after his birthday, he didn't take a nap and hardly ate. He just played with the trains ALL day. I realized I had to tell him that Thomas and Victor were hungry for applesauce or yogurt and only then would he come to the table and eat - of course, only after they have both had a few bites. And before naps he has to make sure they are both tucked in and sleeping and give them kisses and then he can sleep.
For his birthday he got a train cake and all the kids got train whistles (which I realized actually are a kind of annoying party favor ... for adults anyway - whoopsie.) In attendance we had the Cresaps, the Terrys, the Bates and Josh and Sophie Beers.

Luke's train cake that he LOVED. It made it so worth it for me when he spent 1/2 hour standing on a chair looking at the cake, pointing excitedly and making train noises.
Luke's 2 year old check up with Dr. Owen.
playing with Thomas
8 comments:
luke is one of my most favorite people. what a great kid! and i love his cake, so cool! loved your thanksgiving pics too.
Wow 2 already? I love your stories about him, what a cute little guy. And your pediatrician aint half bad either! LOL Great job on the cake!
When did you learn how to make train cakes?
Oh, I forgot to say that I love your creative title--so fitting for two- year-old birthday near Christmas for a kid named Luke.
What a cutie! I love that he is so into Thomas the train. My son went through a HUGE Thomas phase and we collected all the trains and all that jazz. But my favorite thing was, at the time, the 1st Pres. first names were Gordon, Thomas and James. He LOVED this and could remember all of their names!
Cutest cake EVER! for a Birthday Boy!! Way to go...I am so stealing this idea for our traditional Valentines Day train! He sure is a cutie and I love that you sing to him and with him!
Love that cake. Good job! I bet Luke loved it! What a fun birthday party!
Nice cake, Katie! Looks like you put on a fun birthday for cute Luke. Happy 2, Luke!
Post a Comment